Search

Cranberry Boggs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Angela

Cranberry Boggs

Hi: This is our first autumn living in New England. We've heard that the Cranberry Boggs are beautiful to see this time of year. What are the best drives to take that would afford the best views, especially on Cape Cod?

Thanks, Angela

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 07:38 AM
Sandra

Anglea,

You could visit the Cranberry World Visitor's Center in Plymouth tel 508 747 2350 to see how the cranberries are cultivated and harvested and view the bogs. I've not visited it but a few years ago on the first week end in October I took a bike ride on the Cape Cod rail trail starting in Harwich heading towards Welfleet. We went by a bog that was being harvested and it was very interesting and colorful to watch.

Sandra

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 08:33 AM
Dick

I lived in Plymouth for many years, surrounded by cranberry bogs. I never thought of them as being particularly beautiful in the autumn or any other time, but beauty, as they say, is in the eye . . .

Real estate values being what they are beyond the bridges these days, most of the active cranberry bogs are on the "landward" side of the canal in the towns of Plymouth, Carver, and Wareham.

If you drive off Cape over the Bourne Bridge and head up I-495 to the Rt. 58 exit, then proceed into South Carver and bear right onto the road to Plymouth (Federal Furnace Road in Plymouth) you will shortly be surrounded by many acres of bogs.

If the Crane Brook Tea Room is still in operation in S. Carver (I haven't been in the area for a few years) it's worth a stop.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 05:10 PM
gail

We really were disappointed with the Cranberry World display. It is a display NOT the real thing. Don't waste your time on this one. The real bogs have GOT to be more interesting!???

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 03:43 AM
Larry

No, the real thing is NOT more interesting. Went to "Cranberry Festival" in Mass. once that was held next to a bog being harvested. Catches your interest for about 10 minutes, then you wonder why the heck you are there. Angela, since you are living in NE and if are close to a bog, then you don't have much to lose by checking it out. But I would never waste valuable vacation time by viviting a bog.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 03:39 PM
cash

Cranberry World in Plymouth moved from its old location this spring and has much reduced the size of the "museum" and done away with its live cranberry bog. It is now on the rotary where Road Kill Restaurant was. The beauty of the cranberry bogs is during the wet harvesting if you can find one when they are doing it (mid Sept-1Nov approx). Otherwise, it is just a cranberry bog and nothing special.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Gerry

Since this is your first time in New England, I think the cranberry bogs are worth seeing as is Cranberry World. It won't take a lot of time, but the process of seeing the cranberries cultivated is worthwhile. Have fun and enjoy - sometimes it's the little things in life that bring joy.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 03:22 PM
cash

BTW, if you do go to Plymouth and stop at Cranberry World, PLEASE also go and take a look at the National Monument to the Forefathers! It is my favorite thing to show company - spectacular. Just follow the signs left off Rt. 44 on Allerton Street before you get into Plymouth.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 04:24 AM
GOL

What is the National Monument to the Forefathers? Why do you like it? Sounds interesting.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 10:34 AM
cash

National Monument to the Forefathers is owned and maintained by the Pilgrim Society on a hill overlooking Plymouth Harbor. It is 81ft tall, dedicated in 1889, in memory of the Pilgrims (the forefathers). The grand central figure is "faith" , standing with her foot on Plymouth Rock, her left hand holds an open Bible while her right hand is uplifted to heaven. Below her and surrounding her are 4 granite statues 16 ft high seated on thrones representing: Morality, Education, Law, and Liberty. Also, listed on the Monument are the names of all 102 Pilgrims, bas reliefs, and niches, etc. It is really spectacular and it always amazes me that so few local people seem to know about it. If you are in the area, do go see it!

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 11:08 AM
GOL

Thanks. I will stop by when I am in the area.

Do you know why it was dedicated in 1889? I find it interesting that we are now "finally" constructing a WW II memorial, just as the WW II veterans are disappearing from both our land and our minds. Many of the Civil War monuments were dedicated well into the 1900's as the aged soldiers and battles were becoming memories. I wonder if in the 1880's there was a similar thought that we "should not forget" our "heritage" - so they constructed the monument you speak so highly of.

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 02:55 PM
tim

My parents took me to Cranberry World when I was 10. Im not saying it was boring but it is as close to a near death experience as I want to come.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 04:22 AM
cash

GOL
I assume it was dedicated in 1889 as that is when it was finished. The project was outlined in 1820; design accepted in 1855; cornerstone laid in 1859; central figure placed on pedestal 1877; and dedicated in 1889. Glad you will have a look.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 07:28 AM
Cokie's friend

What I want to know is if Cranberry is the fruity unknown cousin of Hale or Lindy?