Couple's 1st trip to Vegas ~ Need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an eye-opener! Hotels in Vegas are really a whole different thing, aren't they?

DH and I have never been to LV, but are planning to go this summer for a quick, b-day getaway. We've already done a big trip this year, so this needs to be...not cheap, but not over-the-top either.
Any ideas where to start? I've looked through some of the threads here, but haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have some good starting points for me? Wherever we stay needs to be nice enough for a b-day celebration, but it can't break the bank. lol We would probably want to be on the strip, in a newer room somewhere.

Also, if anyone wants to help out with some restaurant suggestions or activities, I'm grateful for ideas. We rarely get away w/o the kids, so a romantic dinner somewhere is a must!

Thank you
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Check out http://www.cheapovegas.com
Lots of reviews and helpful hints.
Have fun!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:30 AM

melh:
not sure which days you will be there, but, I have found that during the week all hotels are A LOT cheaper (this includes Sunday) that said priceline to me is a great starting point first go to expedia, cheaptickets to name a few see how much the hotels are going for your dates (so you have an idea) and then start bidding, start now so you have enough time to get them tired of you trying Rent a convertible (also on priceline) you can get a good deal here, go to Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire these two are not too far from the strip and Valley of Fire is really nice hope this helps.
gina
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Based on local airline schedules, it looks like the easiest schedule for our trip will be Thurs - Sunday.

Thanks for the website. I've looked at it a little bit.
Anything else helpful?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:02 AM

JMHO, but I would not recommend renting a convertible in the summer. The heat and blazing sun will melt you in your seat, espically if you take an extended drive. The daytime heat is over 110 and the UV index is 10+.

I did all this research a few years ago for our first trip for my b-day getaway in July. We went to the Bellagio. The location is perfect, mid strip, the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are luxurious. I would recommend a Lake front room which has views of the fountain. The TV broadcasts the fountain music so it is really something to see. We also loved the view of the strip. Ask for the highest floor possoble. Rooms during the summer are a good deal, I have not checked rates lately but I ercall them being $139 pn for a fountainview room. The location of the Bellagio worked well for us. It is next door to Caesars Palace and the walkway access which takes you across the stret to Paris, Ballys, The Flamingo. There is great dining in the Bellagio as well and due to it's location, it's an easy walk to the restaurants in Caesars and Paris. I recommend taking a cab if you wish to venture further on the strip during the summer. It is inexpensive and convenient. Whe you want to explore you can take a cab to the hotels down the strip and walk thru to the others as they are all connected by walkways.

One of my favorite restaurants is Olives in the Bellagio. The food is great and it is right on the lake so if you sit outside you will be able to see everything. The price is right too. The most romantic dinner we have had is in the Eiffel Tower rstaurant which is across the street in Paris. it is way up there and there are floor to ceiling windows, so the views are breathtaking. The food and service was excellent, a memorable meal for sure.

We went to the Hoover Dam for my birthday in July. We rented a car and drove. It was easy to find and took about 40 min or so to get there. It was HOT!!! Not humid hot it is dry but oven hot. The car was reading 114 as outdoor temp. The temps in Vegas don;t really cool down at night. Last year we were watching the fountains on the sidewalk. It was midnight and it was still 106!

I found the Bellagio to be a great value for the money. Beautiful big clean rooms with marble bathrooms, great views, beautiful lobby and gardens, art museum, lounges, outstanding pool, lots of dining options...lots to do in the hotel and around the hotel.

We have been back to LV and the Bellagio many times since and it never disappoints. What we really love is that we always win $$$$ in the Bellagio as well.

hope this helps you and gives you a start. Enjoy!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Annabel - Thanks so much for your post! I had counted the Bellagio out because I thought it would be too $$ for this trip, but it sounds like it may be reasonable for summer.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:00 AM

The WYNN is by far the best hotel on the Strip -- the rooms are amazing. You'll pay for the luxury, but it's worth it.

For a romantic dinner, check out the Eiffel Tower Restaurant (ask for a table with a view of Bellagio's fountains).

www.eiffeltowerrestaurant.com

For a romantic dinner AND some of the best cuisine in Las Vegas, try Tableau's tasting menu (with or without wine pairings).

www.wynnlasvegas.com

Enjoy!