Cortez or Durango: where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Colorado this summer. We want to travel from Cortez up to Telluride and need a home base to stay at for our trip. We have 5 days in the area and want to see as much as possible. We are planning a day at Mesa Verde and also doing the Durango to Silvertion railroad adventure. Since I am not familiar with either city, I want to find a place that would be a good location for our trip and not deal with having to move all the time. Would it be too much driving to stay at either location? We are in our 60's and love the historic areas. We want to have enough time to stop at all the towns along the way. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM

We have always found Cortez to be a little less expensive than Durango. Its about 50 miles between the two and if the driving back and forth is not a problem then......
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Cortez is a tiny bit closer to Tellluride, and a bit closer to Mesa Verde.
But, I personally like Durango a lot better than Cortez. To me it is more scenic and charming. Also in the summer Durango has the rodeo (I think 2 nights a week), which is fun.

I might consider staying 1 night overnight in Telluride.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Hello,

This is one of those questions on which people have so many different ideas.

When we travel, we always say we will stay in one place and travel back and forth. But then, once we are there, we decide it is better FOR US to move around.

Not knowing your starting point, I would probably do it something like this. Day 1-Durango to wander the downtown, a fun place just to look around and enjoy. Day 2-Stay in Durango again and ride the train to Silverton and back which takes all day. I believe there is still the option of returning by bus as round trip can be a bit much for many people. Day 3-go early to Mesa Verde for the day or spend the night at FarView Lodge in the park, although it is somewhat expensive, but a nice experience. If that is too much, stay in Cortez. Day 4-Drive over Lizard Head Pass to Telluride. Look around before continuing to Ouray to spend the night and maybe swim at the hot springs pool there. It is a wonderful place, not too big and the scenery is outstanding. Day5-Drive over the Million Dollar Hiway back to Durango.

This drive would involve moving around but would allow plenty of time to stop and enjoy the history and scenery of the area.

This makes more sense to me than driving back and forth, but again, we all have different opinions on this question.

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:45 AM

I would agree with GJLinda.
I think staying overnight at different locations would allow you to see as much as possible, enjoying different locales and not be totally exhausted by driving back and forth.
The only difference I have, is that I would stay overnight in Telluride. I love Telluride.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers to my questions. I have no problems staying at different locations but husband like to stay put in one place. He will be doing all of the driving. It seems to make more sense to me to experience what each town had to offer by staying there. I am going to convince him that this would be the better way to do this trip.

GJlinda: We are coming up through Arizona from Southern CA. Our first stop will be in Flagstaff and then onto Colorado from there. Your advice sounds good. Now where should we stay? Any advice on the hotels in Durango and Ouray? Our budget is under $150 a night. Something simple is just fine with us since the idea of this trip is to enjoy the scenery and towns and not spend our time in a hotel. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM

We stayed at this lovely place a few years back that gave us quick access to both Mesa Verde & Durango....http://www.sundancebear.com/
As we moved up the Million Dollar Hwy we then stayed a few nights in Ouray at Box Canyon as our base.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM

There are many B&Bs in the Durango/Telluride area, which vary in price range.
Try Tripadvisor.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Hi Froggy,

I'm not much help on places to stay down there. In Ouray, Box Canyon is always recommended. I used to coordinate travel programs for seniors through a university in Denver. When we went to Ouray a couple of times, we stayed in the Ouray Victorian, a block off Main Street. Quiet, with comfortable rooms and places to sit outside. That has been a few years ago, though, so who knows if it has changed?

Check about Far View Lodge. I stayed there once with the senior groups and we loved it--close to a nice restaurant that at that time had a rooftop seating area for drinks and enjoying the scenery, and good food. May have changed though.

Have fun.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 01:35 PM

If you can get into Far View Lodge its in the $150 range you mentioned. Several years ago it was $128 for a night. With inflation (?).. The drive to the main highway is slow going because of its location. We have stayed in Cortez as well and that was in the $75 a night range.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I just booked a room at the Strater Hotel in Durango for three adults for $135 plus tax, breakfast included, with an AAA discount. It is a historic hotel, and the picture showing Victorian furniture looks great.

We (husband, brother, and I) are driving from Kentucky and spending two nights at Zion NP, two at Bryce NP, one at Cortez to see Mesa Verde, and one at Durango before going up to Crested Butte for a week with other family. We are quite excited about the trip.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM

Froggy,
I live in the areas you are asking about. There is a lovely B&B in Cortez {Inn at McElmo Canyon} and nice, typical reasonable priced motels.

If you type in my name and then using the drop down list hit Colorado, you should see info I listed already.

I would give you more specifics here, but I am recovering from surgery and it is a bit tough typing it all over again.

http://www.cityofcortez.com/visiting.shtml

If you hubby doesn't mind a lot of mountain driving, Cortez would be the best answer cost wise.

I would not spend the time it takes to do the train ; you can drive the million dollar highway and see the same things and it won't consume an entire day. See Ouray, see Telluride; see Mesa Verde; go to Durango.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I will check out the recommendations.

DebitMN: I have seen your name and read all your posts. Your advice is really appreciated. Good luck on your recovery.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:25 PM

In Ouray, we stayed at a wonderful place called the Wiesbaden Inn & Spa. It has a really nice hot springs-fed pool and a vapor cave - pretty unique place. We loved it and had a great time in Ouray.
The drive into Mesa Verde is long and staying in the park at Farview was worth the little extra cost. Plus, the Metate Room serves excellent meals! Being in the park made it easy to do the ranger-led hikes early (before it gets too hot).
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
valeriesgallery

I always think cautiously, so I will let you know something you may already be familiar with.

The air is thin in Colorado's high country. Take your time. 50 miles in one direction but after being out and about all day, you might consider staying in different locations. Plus, you won't have to see the same streets all the time. You'll then have more time to see the sights. If I were you, I'd consider one night in M.V., two nights in Durango and three nights in the Telluride OUuray area. Stunning.

Durango is okay. Telluride is amazing. Driving will be steep.

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM

For good info on adjusting to high altitude:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34935779

Debi