Search

Cooperstown

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:37 AM
gapper

Cooperstown

We are going to Cooperstown during Memorial Day weekend and will be visiting the Hall of Fame. We have two boys 9 and 13, realistically, how long does it take to enjoy the Hall of Fame and see the whole museum. We are staying at the Otesaga - is that in walking distance to the Hall of Fame.

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have visited the baseball hall of fame 3 times with our 2 baseball loving sons and spent at least 3 hours there each visit. Having visited many sports Halls of Fame, it is by far the most interesting to this wife and mother of sports junkies. We didnt have the luxury of staying at the Otesaga so I can't remember if it's in walking distance. The town of Cooperstown is cute also. Enjoy your trip. i
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 10:56 AM

If you are looking for something else to do, there is also a Farmers Museum in Cooperstown - we thought it sounded hokey and just went to fill a weekend, but it really was interesting, even for our kids.

There is also a brewery very close by - they make Belgian beer - do not remember name - that gives tours - my husband loved it but kids and I couldn't wait to leave.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I would say unless you are a HUGE fan, about 3 hours at the Hall of Fame. This may also depend on how crowded it is.

Also heard good things about the Farmer's Museum and a local art museum, but we didn't visit either.

The Belgian-style brewery is Ommegang and we loved it!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Oh yeah, to answer your question, I think the Otesaga is on the outskirts of town and not within walking distance to the HofF. I'm sure they have some kind of shuttle, though.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:14 AM

Sigh...Ommegang. Just one of the top breweries in the U.S.! Their Three Philosophers is my favorite!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Although beautiful, the Otesaga is definitely not within walking distance to the baseball hall of fame. I have not seen shuttles there, but they may have them.

Have fun!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM

We took the same trip a couple of years ago, stayed at the Otesaga, and walked to and from the HoF. (The hotel's FAQ puts it at 3 blocks). We also went in, walked around, went out for lunch, and came back -- I don't recall whether the membership my husband held at the time allowed us to do that, or whether that was part of the regular admission.

One of the most memorable things that happened was that at the end of the day, when we got back to the Otesaga, a pickup game was going on in the hotel's front lawn. Dads and boys who didn't know each other, but knew baseball, joined right in as they came upon the game.

The HoF was honoring players who were both in the Hall and military veterans, all of whom were staying at the Otesaga. Phil Rizzuto indulged our then-10-year-old in several conversations about the importance of the shortstop position. There was also a charming Memorial Day parade right down Main Street.

It was a great weekend.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:23 PM
JRP

The Otesaga is very much within walking distance to The Hall. I think the 3 block estimate is quite accurate.
Three hours is probably good for the boys to enjoy The Museum and Hall of Fame, but for me, a hard core fan, that's a bit tight. I had to be dragged out.
The town is a wonderland for baseball gear shopping. That will probably take up more time than the focal point of the trip.
The Ommegang Brewery really is a fun little side trip and the beers are GREAT!
But, the most fun attraction for our family was The Dreams Park. It is a facility about 5 miles outside town that hosts week long tournaments for 12 year old youth teams from around the world. We were lucky enough to have our son participate with his team from Parker, Colorado. Something we never expected during our first visit years before while living in Ohio.
Take the boys there for a day, wander around the many fields and watch a few games. It's truly something you'll never forget.
Also, don't miss an afternoon at Doubleday Field about 2 blocks from The Hall Of Fame. Regardless of whose playing (and there is always a game in progress) it's a peaceful and priceless investment of vacation time. Talk about slipping back in time!