Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cooking classes, walking tours in Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Chicago for four days in late March. Already have tkts for Wicked, but will have lots of time and would like a non-touristy view of the city. Can anyone recommend sources for info on walking tours or cooking classes? I assume the river tours won't have resumed by then? Thanks for any suggestions, and for favorite neighborhood restaurants to add to the recommendations I've already found here.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 07:31 AM

There is a Marshall Fields Institute that offers cooking classes at the State Street store. You can get the Dec-Feb schedule here now and look later for March: http://www.fields.com/common/fcc.jsp

For tours, check out:

* Chicago Greeters (free) - http://www.chicagogreeter.com/index.html
* The Architecture Foundation river cruises won't be running till late April, but they do offer walking and bus tours - http://www.architecture.org/tours.aspx
* Maybe you'd enjoy a bike tour? - http://www.bobbysbikehike.com/
* The Historical Society also offers tours - http://www.chicagohs.org/tours.asp#walkingTours

Can't help much with restaurant suggestinos, but we did love Ann Sathers (we went to the one on Belmont) for breakfast. Get the cinnamon rolls as one of your sides - they alone are enough to be breakfast, and they're delicious!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I'm not where I can provide details (which you can google anyway) but we have enjoyed a walking architecture tour in the Loop, film at the Gene Siskel Theatre, performance at Steppenwolf Theatre, Chicago Symphony, and of course a must is the Art Institute, and much more.

ozarksbill
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Check out The Chopping Block (google it). The location in Merchandise Mart would be great for you. The classes are awesome, and the location is great. Can be a bit pricey, but worth it! (I'm a pretty decent sushi maker as a result of one of the classes I took!)
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Also try the Calphalon Culinary Center in the west loop on Washington. While you are there you can stop by the tons of restaurants on Randolph. A good homey place I like is Ina's.

http://www.calphalonculinarycenter.c...ulinarycenter/
jhtml/calendar.jhtml?monthId=2&yearId=2006
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:31 AM

Pittsburgher, you've gotten some excellent suggestions here.

Agree wholeheartedly about the jlm_mi's suggestion about the Chicago Architecture Foundation. Reasonable price and excellent information by knowledgable docents. Also agree about the Chicago Greeter Service.

The Chicago Cultural Center (State/Randolph) usually has information about guided tours into the neighborhoods. You could check online to see what's happening when you are here.

There is a walking tour of Millennium Park which you can download on a MP3. Check their website for details.

The Chopping Block is an excellent suggestion. Treasure Island also has cooking classes by some of the city's chefs, but I don't think they have an online website where you can view them. (They are posted in the stores, though.)

You might also want to check out the Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago (CHIC) website for their cooking demonstrations. I only see February's posted right now. You might also want to wander over to the CHIC Cafe for a bite to eat.

The Dining Room at Kendall College. Check their website to see what's going in late March (they only have up to early March posted now, I think).

And, one of Kendall's alum is the Doug of Hot Doug's, a great place for an extraordinary sausage. He's happy to explain all your options (he waits on the customers himself). Go on Friday or Saturday for the duck fat fries - yum! Be prepared for a wait. The area around Hot Doug's isn't the greatest, but you'll see the line of people out the door for his products--including some of Chicago's finest.

Lincoln Park restaurants: The Red Rooster/Cafe Bernard. BOKA. North Pond. Charlie Trotter's (one of the top two in the city - the other being Tru). Alinea.

In Lakeview/Boystown/Wrigleyville/N. Southport areas: Yoshi's, X/O (small plate), The Chicago Diner (vegetarian), La Tavernetta, Casbah Cafe, Tango Sur, Southport Grocery & Cafe (good eats in a very cute place and pick up some specialty groceries at the same time). More casual: Stella's or Nookies Tree.

Best coffee house in town: Intelligentsia. Go to the original location in Lakeview on Broadway just south of Belmont.

Rick's Cafe, 3915 N. Sheridan (very small place, but great food). Wouldn't recommend for a party larger than 4 but 2 is a good size.

Wicker Park/Bucktown: MAS and Think.

Have fun while here!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

My trip is almost here -- thought I would run this query up again to see if there are any new suggestions. Thanks to all!
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 12:00 PM

topping....