Search

Condos on KAUAI?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Holly

Condos on KAUAI?

Hi. My husband and I are thinking about a trip to Kauai with our 2 year old. We were considering a condo-- and maybe the north shore. We would be travelling in the summer and thought the north shore might be less rainy then? Does that sound right? Any recommendations for condos close to the beach?

How are north shore beaches for toddlers?

Any recommendations on condos or other would be really appreciated. We have heard of recommendations for the Hyatt on the south shore-- It sounds beautiful but I wasn't sure about the cost (very expensive?!). This will be our first trip to the islands. Thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 10:29 AM
HI

Hawaii topper

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 05:32 AM
jo

Try Suite Paradise
-they have an 800 number which I don't have on hand. We have rented condos from them on the south Shore which has good beaches for litle ones. Probably cheaper than a hotel. The Hyatt is gorgeous ( some of the condos are very near it) but expensive.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Rose

HI Holly,

The North Shore is lush and rich with vegitation. It is very rainy here in winter most summers you are fine with only infrequent morning showers gone by 10-11am. In summer the waters here are the calmest. I also enjoy walking into town for coffee or morning bakery treats. Gotta have a malasada with my coffee in the morning.

Once you see this place you will want to stay. We were hit with daily rain in August last year but that was unusual. I go frequently and it has always been idealyic in Summer. Year before last we had one morning of overcast only rest of the time bright bright sun. Most other summer trips no rain.

Hanalei beach is wonderful for young kids in summer. You don't have to treck down a slope or stairs the way you do in Princeville.

We got our rental last year from this website below. We stayed in the Aloha unit they have units for 3 also. We were six but I just loved our place and the landlord is nearby so it is not like you are left to swim or sink if something goes wrong.
http://www.hanaleihouse-kauai.com/information.html PS the place for six was 1050. I think downstairs runs 850 at it is all new so this is a steal I think. I paid 2450 the summer before for a clean but old, small beach front rental (1st floor) in Ocean City New Jersey. Yes that was only for a week in 2000 came home from Kauai to meet family in NJ. We decided next year we would all go Kauai instead. Why was this ever a question???

My suggestion is to pick a place near a swimming beach but not right on the beach. As idealic as beach front sounds occasional night partiers will gather. This happened to my family this past summer in Lanikai on Oahu.

Where we were in Hanalei we were about a half a block from the beach so it was not far and quiet where we were. You know even though we bumped into that rain no one remembers that. We are fair skinned so that openned the doors for more outdoor activties mid day. It never rained all day just morning than some over cast in the afternoon. Somehow the overcast brought out the rainbows and did not impact the underwater life while we snorkeld. Brilliant stars at night also something we would never expect at home with an overcast day.

There is tons of information on rentals on the internet. wwww.Vacationspot.com is a place to start checking.
A realator that I found helpful even though I have not rented from them yet was Hanalei North Shore Properties. Their website also gives you and idea about prices.

There is also a lot of availability in Princeville if you are the type of family that will be hopping in the car and exploring other beachs for much of the trip anyway.

South Shore is sunnier but I don't find it at all as scenic as the North Shore. Also on all of the islands the waves are bit rougher in summer on the southern shores. Someone with kids staying there in summer can tell you more about how this impacted there swims. There is incredible hiking in the canyon area on the west coast, also kokee national park is tremdous but not worth a stay on that side of the island at the risk of excluding a North Shore stay IMHO. A stay on the west/south coast combined with a North Shore stay yes. Have to choose I say North Shore.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Rose

pardon my grammer and spelling

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:58 PM
florence

You might consider renting a cottage or small house on Anini Beach, north shore. In most cases, you just walk across the road to the beach from the houses. This is a good beach for children as the water stays shallow for quite a distance out. You can locate houses by searching for Kauai Vacation Rentals and Real Estate. I've rented from these folks and they are very nice to do business with.