Reload this Page >

condo v. hotel for Maui honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 05:48 AM
Karen

Next July, my fiance and I want to go to Maui for a one week honeymoon. First, we have the option of a condo - where on the west side should we stay if we do that? We want to have a beach right near the condo. Second, should we do the condo, or do a package thing and stay at a hotel (and which hotel)? Also, what would be a rough estimate of the cost for a one week stay on the west side of Maui with airfare from Chicago. We just want to know if it would be worth the extra $$$ to stay at a hotel v. a condo.
Thanks so much!!! (sorry about ALL the questions, but you all are terrific about giving great answers!)

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 08:34 AM
Ruth

Karen,

For my honeymoon, I really would do a hotel! You should let yourself be pampered for a week, and have the facilities of a hotel at your disposal. I just celebrated my 35th wedding anniversary, and my husband and I STILL love to stay in a hotel with an outdoor lounge/bar with live music at night, with jacuzzis set in lush gardens where you can relax under the stars, a concierge who can answer all your questions & help make plans. Have Eggs Benedict and papaya for breakfast in the morning while you sit by the ocean and pinch yourselves, trying to convince yourselves that you're really in Hawaii!

Not to say that there aren't some great condos, but I think the hotel experience would be much more romantic for a honeymoon. As for costs, if next summer is anything like this one, you could have a really nice hotel, car and air from Chicago for about $4000 for a week, I think. Pleasant Hawaiian, i.e., has great packages if you don't want to book everything separately. You're talking about hotels in the luxury category and up at this price, depending on specials running then (Maui Marriott - Kaanapali, Renaissance Wailea, i.e.)

I think a hotel would be worth the extra money for your honeymoon! You need those memories five years later when, maybe, you have two sick children and can't get out of the house?????

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 09:52 AM
Dick

Karen, have you stayed in condo on vacation before. If not, I wouldn't consider it for my honeymoon. A hotel wil probably be able to provide a more special setting.

On the other hand, my wife and I have stayed in condos in Maui, Kauai and elsewhere and have had great experiences. We appreciate the added room and added in suite amenites like a refrigerator, stereo, living room,washer /dryer, etc(and for MUCh less cost than anything comparable at a hotel). In most condos, room service and daily maid service are not provided.

Remembering that this is you honeymoon, going with a nice hotel is probably a safe bet.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 11:57 AM
Karen

I agree completely -- go for the hotel! You'll only have one true honeymoon, so why not pamper yourself in as much luxury as you can afford. Do you really want to have to clean your own room everyday on your honeymoon? I think not. Besides, you'll have plenty of time for condos after you have children.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 10:58 AM
Jan

My husband & I went to Hawaii for our honeymoon last August. We hated Oahu, primarily due to the fact that our hotel was bad. Turtle Bay Hilton, don't ever stay there. Anyway, in Maui we stayed at the Westin and loved it. I wish we could have stayed longer. Our trip was also from Chicago and for 10 days we payed $3000 plus $1200 airfare. Yes, it was (what I consider) VERY expensive but you only have one honeymoon (hopefully) and why not treat yourself.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 11:06 AM
Liz

You'd be surprised the specials you can get at the best hotels. I am staying a week at the 4 seasons with a car for $2100. I decided to forgo the Ocean View room for the mountain side (all the rooms are the same size and gorgeous)to stay at the most luxurious vs. moderate and a great view.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 03:46 PM
Lottie "Tiare" Tagupa

Do the hotel and enjoy Maui's wonderful restuarants and dining. Condos have sink and dishes and cooking facilities...which translates in my book into dirty dishes...and you'll have the rest of your lives together to do that!! ;-)
tiare
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/hawaii

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 06:51 PM
Jon

There are about 15 major hotels, and more than 100 condos, for you to pick from on Maui. The advantages of a hotel are: consistent quality of rooms, more elaborate grounds and pools, shops and restaurants in the building, more service (such as room service and bellman service). The advantages of a condo are: more space, larger rooms, kitchen for you to do some of your own cooking, and usually lower prices. Bear in mind that the quality of condo rooms varies widely, both from one condo building to another, and from one unit to another within the same condo building. In addition, some of the cheaper condos do not have air conditioning, so be sure to ask about that.
I agree that a hotel is much nicer for a honeymoon. Stay in a condo when you go back with the kids!

LOTS more info about Maui restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site:
http://www.mauihawaii.org
(note it ends in org, not com)
Jon

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 04:43 PM
Jen

Just returned from 9 days in Maui. My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons in Wailea and we loved it. Very expensive but worth every penny. Excellent place for a honeymoon. We celebrated our second anniversary while we where there. We highly recommend it! Good luck with your planning!