condo is Laguna Beach or Dana Point

May 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
bawc

condo is Laguna Beach or Dana Point

We will be traveling with my 4 year old son, and would prefer to rent a condo than stay in a resort for a week at the beginning of August. Which area would be best with a small child? We would like it to be luxurious, perhaps with a pool nearby. We will have a car to explore the area, and perhaps Disneyland, but would prefer the beach to be within walking distance for a small child. We have to be in LA on the weekend for a family reunion. We would welcome any suggestions, since we are not all that familiar with the area, having spent only one day there last year.
Thank you,
Barbara

May 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I would recommend Newport Beach - but you will be hard pressed to find something "nice" for August at this late date. We have rented there and you literally have to a year in advance...
May 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM

You might try renting a house on Balboa Island in the Newport Beach area. It's on the bay, the Island is only 3 blocks wide, so you have easy access to the beach, and it's about 30 minutes to Disneyland. It's a great place, especially with children. There's a few real estate offices on the Island which handle summer rentals (usually Sat to Sat). Here's a link I found. http://www.balboa-island.com/index.p...ub/realestate/

Good luck
May 8th, 2007, 09:04 AM

I also think Newport Beach would be good. Another realty company to check is www.burrwhite.com. Looks like they have a few rentals for the first week of August. Usually your stay is Saturday to Saturday. Locations on the numbered streets are good. Plan to spend at least $2200 a week for the condo. You can also check on www.vrbo.com.

Just noticed you wanted a pool. Most condos by the beach don't have a pool. You 'd probably have to stay in a hotel or resort to get that.
May 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM
bawc

Thank you for your responses, I will focus on Newport Beach, and I guess we will forfeit a pool. I will follow the suggestions of Balboa and even numbered streets in Newport itself, should I stay away from anything on Balboa Blvd? And do I need a/c--heat doesn't bother my husband, but I hate it if I can't cool off.
Barbara

May 8th, 2007, 07:26 PM

It is hard to find A/C next to the beach in Southern California... you will usually find ceiling fans et.

I have used BurrWhite and like them. I have also used VRBO - I found more personal attention/detail with VRBO.

Stay away from being RIGHT by the pier.. it can get a little "rowdy"
May 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM
bawc

I have used VRBO in the past with success. There are listings for Balboa and for Newport Beach itself. Any thoughts as to which would be preferable? Where am I most likely to find upscale condo/houses?
Thanks again,
Barbara

May 9th, 2007, 03:00 PM

I still vote for Balboa Island, it is PERFECT for children ... lots to do nearby, and a bit less hectic (guess that would be the best word) with a 4 year old.

The South Bayfront is a wonderful location on the Island (http://www.vrbo.com/94124, for example).
May 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
bawc

Denise, that does sound perfect--but I really need a two bedroom version for my son, although it lists a crib (he is long since out of one), it didn't mention "kid friendly". In any case, I will focus on Balboa Island, and search for one just like this one, with a/c and patio. I was starting to lose hope of finding just what I need...
Barbara

May 10th, 2007, 07:10 AM

I agree with the Balboa Island suggestion - NewPort Beach can get a little well, not sure the word I am looking for - but there was a lot of drinking on the boardwalk - et et... et et... I was uncomfortable at times but was there during the worst week - July 4th.
May 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Barbara,

Balboa Island will be much quieter, and it's about as "upscale" as you can get. Be prepared to fork out some big bucks.

Newport Beach is party central in the summer months. Be specific with your rental agent about exact location and (as others have said) the further away from the pier, the better!
May 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM

You won't find many, if any, houses with ac on the Island ... but you really don't need it. I lived there for 5 years, and still visit often, and maybe 2 days in the whole year, we wished we had ac, otherwise, it was quite nice.
May 10th, 2007, 10:57 AM
bawc

I am waiting for a few replies from Newport Beach/Balboa rentals, but one that did answer is at 33rd and Lake, but not on Balboa. Do you know anything about that neighborhood?
Thanks,
Barbara

May 10th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Do you mean 33rd street? I think that is north -- my dh prefers that to south N.P. - I like south better - the beaches are very LONG in South Newport (sort of like the Jersey shore?) not as far from the beach to the sidewalk the further north you go. You should have a "map" via the website at Burr White and it will show you on it --- just stay away from the piers..far away.
May 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM
bawc

I looked at the map as you suggested. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Peninsula (Marcus and 32/34 St), is not Balboa Island, even though it was advertised as such on VRBO. As I was told, it is find to find rentals at this late date!
Barbara

May 11th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Barbara,
I stayed around 34th and Ocean last summer - we were fine with that area - I will have to go back and look on the map to see where the cross street you are talking about is... Here is the deal - while I am the one that said it is well, rowdy - we were able to pretty much avoid it - and we were there the worst possible week - 4th of July... but Newport is nice - and if you stay away from the pier you should be okay. It is hard to find rentals - the other area you might like is Laguna Beach - but it is very hilly and you would be walking your 4 year old on a lot of hills to get to the beach in most instances. I have also rented in San Clemente - had better luck getting a place at a late date. But is a very "beachy" little town and has a "bowl" (not sure how else to explain it) you might get bored quickly unless you are content to sit right on the beach... not too many resturants..is your 4 year old still in a stroller?
May 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
bawc

Dawn,
He uses a stroller only when he is very tired. Another cottage became available on Balboa island, on Grand Canal, between Abalone and Crystal, but I am not sure that it is as nice as I would like. I may have to reconsider Laguna Beach in order to find an appropriate rental. I am finding this whole process much more difficult than renting a ski condo!
Barbara

May 11th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Barbara,

There are actually many more ski condos available than there are beach rentals, for sure! You should expand your search since you are trying to book so late.
May 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Hi Barbara,

Check this property out ... http://www.go2islandrealestate.com/f....asp?sid=28187

don't know the availability, but have seen the house, and it looks nice, and it's a great location.

and check out: http://www.loravance.com/ she has some nice properties too, still not sure of availability.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Denice
May 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Barbara,
It is tough - I went to rebook the place we had booked last summer for this summer -it was a GREAT location - Click here: Newport Beach California http://www.vrbo.com/32777 - Connie the owner is wonderful - she lives close by and it has a lot of personal touches and was very clean - well, I tried in Oct and it was already booked the only weeks we could travel! Ugh. She is booked through 2008 right now.
I am hesitant to recommend San Clemente due to the age of your son. I know you have to be in LA one weekend for a family reunion - but have you considered San Diego at all?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO