Concorde to fly again - would you go on it?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:26 AM
jacqui

Concorde to fly again - would you go on it?

British Air has announced that its Concorde fleet may be carrying passengers by the fall. It is currently having airworthiness tests. They say they have modified the tyres and fuel tanks. Do you think people will rush to fly on it again?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:40 AM
why

Why not? There's nothing like it. Nothing can be more convenient.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:51 AM
PostGirl

I thought the Concorde crash was attributed to debris on the runway, causing it to be sucked into the engine. Am I incorrect?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Jackson

The same people who flew on it before will be flying on it again. That doesn't include me, but mainly because of the price and secondarily because the added speed doesn't mean enough to put up with the extra turbulence that can occur.

But the Gotrocks Must Have the Best, and the Speed at All Costs, and the Celebrity Because-I-Can crew will be back aboard as soon as it's available. Few of those ever particularly worry about mortality -- "it happens to others," or "the stats say the Concorde will now be the safest plane in the air," or "you're safer here than in a car" -- you know the drill...

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Jed

Postgirl: Yes it was debris that caused the crash, but they figured if the tyres and fuel tankks had been re-inforced they wouldn't have gone up. I think its something to do with the design - the fuel tanks too near the tyres?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Bob Brown

Unless I win the lottery, there is no way I will be able to afford a seat on the Concorde!! It is an interesting airplane, but not an option for me without some kind of windfall.

True, the immediate problem was perhaps caused by metal parts lying on the runway. But the aircraft has had other problems, particularly with the tires.
Or tyres as the spelling may be.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:07 AM
big bucks

I have been on Concorde one way from JFK to London. It was incredible, very smooth and of course fast. The body of the plane apparently stretch a couple of inches in flight due to heat. Yes there are people who use it with endless bucks. A little old lady in the Departure Lounge told me she was flying to London to have dinner with a friend!!
For me it was a once in a lifetime experience.Though given the chance i'd go in a heartbeat!!