Comments re: Aussies' first trip to the US

Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments re: Aussies' first trip to the US

We just came back from a trip to Las Vegas. At a show we talked to a couple from Austrailia who appeared to be in their mid 30s. They said this was their first trip to the USA so we asked what their plans were. In addition to a week in Vegas they mentioned they were going next to Mexico. I asked where and they said "San Diego." I told them that was in CA. and they were surprised but then said they were also going to Tijuana. I asked them why they had picked that place for their trip and they replied "We heard you can get good buys there on leather, etc."

I was rather surprised at their choice of places to visit but really couldn't comment personally about Tijuana as I had never considered going there. Is it really a good place to go? I just said to be careful there.

Just wondering about what type of travel agent they had used and would you say anything negative re: another's travel plans ?
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:15 AM

The ignorance vis-à-vis geography seems to be universal, so I'd certainly smile and let that one slide.

TJ, on the other hand.... Tourists may think they're seeing the "real" Mexico when they go to TJ, but it's just a sleazy border town with the worst of both countries. However, some tourists-- especially those from the UK and Australia-- seem to devote at least a little tourism time to "shopping", and if they think they can get bargains on things they can't get easily back home, they don't care how awful the place they go may be.

In that situation I'd gently direct them to look into the higher-end outlet malls in the area. The outlet mall in Carlsbad just off the 5, for example, has, if I recall correctly, a Coach Outlet. The malls in Cabazon do, I know that.

And I'd tell them that if they want to hit Baja, bypass TJ entirely and head down to the nicer beach towns (Rosarito, Cabo, etc.).
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:19 PM

They may have been on some sort of package as lots from here in Oz are for LA, San Diego, Vegas and Tijuana ( yes the latter to give them the idea they have been to Mexico! ).
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM

Tijuana is Mexico. The differences between Southern California and Tijuana are shocking to first time visitors. I have taken many Midwest relations across that border for the last thirty years by car. It is The Third World, they never forget the trip.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:10 PM

Tijuana is Mexico of course, but part of the worst of Mexico. Mexico is an amazing country, I love it. It's like visiting the poorest part of any US city, then saying you've "seen" the United States...
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:17 AM

That pair must have been on a package -you surely wouldn't trust them to find their own way around.

I'm sure stories like this make a refreshing change from those clueless-Americans-abroad threads that are so popular on the Europe forum. On behalf of Australia - glad to be of service!
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

I guess they were on a typical package tour from Australia as I do remember them saying that they would go to LA last.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM

I have traveled in dozens of countries and always run into Australians. They are the most traveled people in the world. I doubt they planned their "holiday" through a travel agent. They were probably winging it. For someone living on the opposite end of the globe I don't think that mistaking the boarder town of San Diego for a Mexican boarder town is a big deal. Is the city on the other side of the river south of Detroit in Michigan, Wisconsin, Canada, or Ohio?
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM

San Diego is the seventh largest city in the US. It IS a big deal when people from other countries think it's in Mexico.

Jorr, I notice your question wasn't "which country is Detroit in?"
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
sandi

For as many clueless Americans, so too are there those from other countries and continents. They open a brochure, see a price that sounds good and affordable and book the trip... simple as that.

Once at their destination, they often still have no idea where they are - which country, or continent.

As a friend who is a tour guide in the States catering mainly to other than Americans - German, Japanese, Brits, Aussies, etc. etc. he has tales to tell. So, yup, Americans are not alone out there as being clueless!

Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM

Agree with sandi. An amusing tale which just occurred to me was when I was talking to a cruise ship captain and he told me that he had been talking to a rich American woman on board his ship and he mentioned Sydney. She said "Oh Sydney, I've always wanted to go there!" to which he replied " That's fortunate Madam because we will be there in about 30 minutes!"
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM

Well my comment is inspite of Americans getting a bad rap about not being savey about countries, areas etc. my experience has been this.

Friends that are in Italy contact me regarding hotel reservations that their Italian travel agencies have suggested for them. They check with me to see what I think. Many times I have been appalled. Obviously their various Italian travel agencies have chosed a very inexpensive hotel without any knowledge at all regarding the area. I am talking very bad crimewise areas or miles away from the major center. And/or very stupid itineraries.

Two friends about twenty years ago let their Italian travel agent book them a room somewhere in Miami. These were two young sharp fellows in their 20's. When the finally got to the westcoast of the US and stayed with me they had me in stiches (because nothing bad happened) as they were so scared in the hotel somewhere in Miami they moved the chest of drawers to the front of the exterior door of their hotel room before they went to sleep at night.

Hopefully more and more travellers use the web to get good and reliable information about places they are travelling to.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:26 PM

LoveItaly, you are so right. I think some hotels in the US, Milford Plaza in New York is a good example, exist only because foreign travel agencies (in the UK in particular) book people there by the thousands. Our London friends arrived there thinking they were staying at a top end New York hotel -- and were paying over $300 a night for it (several years ago). They walked out and lost their entire payment for 5 nights and found a place on their own.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 05:35 PM

Hi Neo, last example was last year. My friends in Florence called me..the ones I have mentioned to you. Their travel agent wanted to book them in a hotel in the middle of the Tenderloin of SF. I said "NO". Especially since they would be walking back to the hotel late at night. I reserved a room for them at the Grand Hyatt at Union Square for $25.00 less a night than what the Tenderloin hotel was going to cost them.
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 06:19 PM

Barabra, I love San Diego but there are probably a lot of people IN THE US who know less about it than those Australians.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Barbara, My qustion about Detroit was for Americans. How many Americans can answer this qustion correctly? Very few.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM

OK Jorr, only because I have been there, the answer is...Windsor, Ontario, Canada.