Reload this Page >

Comfortable Walking Shoes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 09:09 AM
Mary

Can anyone recommend some good but stylish walking shoes? I am going to New York in Sept. as well as New Orleans in October and am going to be walking all day. Need shoes that will be comfortable, above all, and that will go well with shorts and pants. Any help appreciated.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 09:20 AM
Beth

Mary, do a search on shoes over in the Europe forum. There were several extensive threads on appropriate shoes for wearing in Paris and Rome. I think the general leanings were towards Rockports, or Mephisto's if you can spend big bucks. Aerosoles also came highly recommended.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 11:16 AM
elaine

Mary,

I, too, am looking for shoes. Beth had good suggestion and I did a shoe search on Europe forum. Here's what I found:
Mephisto shoes mentioned frequently [I own one pair of clogs and walked all through Old Montreal early July, comfortable and fashionable], Ecco's, Aerosole, Hush Puppies, Arche [great looking], Easy Spirit, Rockport and Timberland. I see you are an AOL subscriber. If you click on Italy travel board, there is a great thread on 'shoes/cobblestone streets' which has close to 37 responses. Think a comfortable shoe to be single most important travel item. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 02:21 PM
Emily

My favorite travel shoes are Easy Spirit. Their various styles have taken me in comfort everywhere from New York City to the Yangtze River.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 02:41 PM
Monica Richards

Nine West has a comfortable line called "Cloud Nine" Very stylish, and pretty comfortable. Not as good as Mephistos, but definitely comparable to aerosoles.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 05:23 PM
Cathy

My Mephistos are great. They are pricy but well worth it.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 07:51 PM
sally

I'm interested in knowing the general price range of Mephistos. Found several web sites that showed all the styles, but no prices. Are they more comfortable than Birkenstocks?

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 03:40 AM
elaine

sally,

I've not worn Birkenstocks, so I cannot compare. My Mephistos are style 'Audrey' and a slide. Was lucky to purchase for $85 at a local store as it was last pair. Re: comfort, it depends on the style/and individual wearing them . Some Mephistos retail approx. $260 [for their 'Walker'].

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 05:56 AM
Andrea

I am lucky enough to own a pair of Mephisto sandals and I wear them everywhere. I have terrible problems with my feet, back, and hips, and usually wear orthotics to correct that. Mephistos are the only sandals I can wear comfortably and I've worn them in NYC, all over Arizona (including the Grand Canyon) and clubbing in Atlanta. Go for the Mephistos! By the way, mine cost $150 a couple years ago. They will do any maintenance you need too.

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 08:27 AM
Mary

Check out: www.mephisto.com

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 04:15 PM
TC

Many shoe companies now offer stylish, comfortable shoes. Here's what I've found about shoes and feet and traveling. (1) Buy a pair of shoes that are roomy. Something that under normal circumstances you might think too big. Take up the slack with a pillowed insole. Then when your feet swell (and they will) you can remove the insoles and still get the shoes on. (2) Buy shoes with no seams at all. A seam won't rub much until your feet swell and then its unbearable. (3) Always wear COTTON socks. Anything with nylon will make a blister for sure. (4) Two or three days before the start of your trip start spraying your feet with an antipersprant. Continue this during the trip. Your feet won't sweat and therefore you won't get blisters. I love my Aerosoles. Good luck.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 05:21 PM
Ruth

I swear by Easy Spirit walking shoes and sandals. They last forever (you'll get tired of them before you'll ever wear them out!), and they're SO COMFORTABLE!

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 07:02 PM
Judy

I too have always liked Easy Spirits (especially since they are one of the manufacturers that make shoes in my size). Also, I recently bought a pair of black sandals by Ecco for a trip to London and can recommend them. They are extremely comfortable to walk in and look good enough to wear with a casual skirt or dress. They got completely wet during a massive rainstorm and looked just like new the next day. You might want a pair of sandals in New Orleans -- when I was there in late October several years ago it was in the mid 80's and extremely humid.