Search

comfort inn

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:21 AM
rose

comfort inn

Any information on the comfort inn on 36th st would be great. Need info on the neighborhood for walking at night going with my young son.
thanks

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:40 AM
Owen O'Neill

I posted a warning last summer about a then recently renovated Comfort In on 36th St in NYC. I'm guessing that it's the same one. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change your reservations to some other hotel. I can help you with suggestions based on price range as can others in this forum. I am reposting the test of my original post so you'll understand why.
*from August 2001*
"I just spotted a new Comfort Inn on West 36th street between 9th and 10th Ave in Manhattan - "Grand Opening" sign is in front. It's very convenient to the Javits Center - literally a 3 - 5 minute walk but it's in a very weird location right by the Dyer Ave approach ramp to the Lincoln Tunnel. There's nothing else around it that's open at night and the hotel building (small and about 12 floors) is attached to a Friar's Ministry outreach center (which I'm guessing probably provides service to the indigent and homeless). If you got a great deal on this place it would be okay as a place to lay your head at night but only the hardiest souls would want to walk the last several blocks to reach it at night - a cab would be recommended."

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:08 AM
Rose

Thanks so much for the info, I am going with my young son and would like to be in a safer neighborhood.

thanks again

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:16 AM
Owen O'Neill

Rose - Please note that Manhattan really is a safe and fun place to visit with children. This is one of the few (possibly the only) name brand hotels that I've come across in NYC that's in a questionable location. the real issue is that it's isolated at night. An additional consideration is convenience. The closest subway station is a 10 minute walk for an adult and possibly longer if accompanied by a child. Can you repost to let us know the types of activities and sightseeing you plan to do as well as your desired price range? I'm sure many good suggestions will be forthcoming. Also please note that many NYC hotels have only one bed in many rooms. You must specify two beds when reserving and make sure this option is available.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 07:35 AM
Statia

I've heard that Red Roof Inn in midtown has a pretty good rate.....around $100 per night. It's pretty new and it seems to be in a safer area. However, others might have even better suggestions which are closer to more attractions.