COMEDY that typifies your locale?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a favorite TV show, movie or comedian that exemplifies local humor, or makes you miss your roots? New York, California, Texas, New Jersey? (A smile--and thoughts for what you're going through--to BonnieBroad for starting the fun NJ post).
For ex, thinking of Larry the Cable Guy, and Ron White--I'm just about ready to move to the South 'cause of them!!
Anyone been "drunk in ppppublickkkkk"??? That happened in New York.
Git 'er done!!!!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:31 PM

Robin Williams. There's no better.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:36 AM

The Detroit Mayoral election campaign was pretty funny. No wait, I got my comedies mixed up with pathos.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:49 AM

Andy Griffith. I live in Mayberry.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:54 AM

The Red Green Show
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:25 AM

CaliNurse, being from Texas myself I can certainly relate to the hilarious scenes of Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Yes, it kind of makes me miss "home" when I watch it since although I've never been "country" myself, I do know my fair share of people like Ron, Bill, Jeff and Larry. Have you seen the sequel?

I can add another one. The film "Cool Runnings" reminds me of my "new home."
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:43 AM

I live in Arizona.

Cowboy poets, as exemplified by Baxter Black (former large animal vetinarian), whose show on NPR has amused me for years.

I've met Baxter personally, btw, when he was a client in the shop I own. Charming fellow.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:11 AM

I'm in NJ, so of course I have to say Kevin Smith! (And Garden State, although that's not really a "comedy"...unless you grew up in NJ!)
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:33 AM

cmcfong--We also live in Mayberry and joke about the Andy Griffith Show, lol! We even had the kid watch it so they knew what we all meant by calling it Mayberry
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Massachusetts, near the Rhode Island border, and the couple of episodes I've seen of Family Guy feel like local humor.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:46 AM

King of the Hill

Arlen, Texas is really Garland, Texas.

But...I live in Dallas and the stereotype of Garland is dead-on funny!!!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I will say the movie Fargo hits home for many that live in the vicinity. You have to laugh, and I adore William H. Macy and Frances McDormand.

After growing up here, then living on the west coast for 10 years, then moving back to my roots, I made my Cali friends promise me if I started saying my "O's" differently they were to promptly do an intervention, lol.

O's or not, I wouldn't have it any other way, I love it here!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

Anything that Henry Rollins does / says is great for us here at home.

http://www.21361.com/

Pis

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Etta May your Kmart nightmare/polyester princess.
www.ettamay.com
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:01 AM
lvk

This is funny. My brother-in-law, who lives in Germany and has never been to the states, thinks that the Bundy's from "Married with Children" are typical of American families. He loves that show, BTW.

I grew up in Mass. and just want to say for the record that Cliff Clavin of "Cheers" had the worst fake Boston accent I have ever heard.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:25 AM

for Los Angeles area that I live in, the movie: Swingers pretty much had it dead on.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Pis_Pistofferson

In Swingers, I liked the part where five guys go to a party, and they all drive their own cars.

Cue the Missing Persons : "Nobody walks in L.A."

Pis

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:48 AM
JJ5

Actually Deadwood on HBO had a couple of characters that are pure Chicago politician. All you have to do is change their costume/ time period and they would be perfect top notch alderman/ prec. captains. They even have the smile down pat.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes, Swingers is a great movie!!!! One of the guys wore a Queens College sweatshirt--hurray for my alma mater. The restaurant they went into, where the maitre d'/owner is smiling, is actually owned by that man and his family. Met them on a cruise. They said "Swingers" was so much fun, not just as a movie, but cuz the actors were great fun!

Speaking of JJ5's mention of politicians, and the Mayberry folks' mention of Andy Griffith--has anyone seen him in "A Face in the Crowd"?? NOT funny--but brilliant and timely, decades later.

Statia, yes!! I've seen "Blue Collar Rides Again." Love that one too ! Trouble is, I keep loaning out, and losing, the dvds to friends, who of course want them over and over. Am now on third copies from Target of both DVDs. "Cool Runnings"--must watch that again! Do you live on Jamaica???
Pepper, I didn't know that about Garland/King of the HIll. Funny, was just researching location of the plumbers' union local nr Dallas. It's in--you guessed it-- Garland!

"Married With Children"--LVK, your brother-in-law will be disappointed if he ever visits real American families here.Or maybe not

Any LA folks who've seen "Curb Your Enthusiasm'? I'm wondering if that is an accurate portrait of Hollywood.

Thanks ALL for great ideas on who to look for on tv, in video store, or in concerts, to get a taste of local flavor and/or just a belly-aching laugh.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Nikki,

you must live near me! We live in Norfolk county at the end of the T, and about 5 miles from the RI border.

Without posting your town can you give me a clue where you live?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -