Search

Columbia River Gorge, OR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:13 PM
April

Columbia River Gorge, OR

Has anyone stayed at the Columbia Gorge Hotel
and what was your opinion?

How long would it take to drive from there to the Maryhill Museum? Or would it make more sense to stay on the Oregon and the Washington sides separately?

How many days do you suggest to do the area justice? My husband is limited to easy walks.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 10:20 PM
John

Haven't been to the hotel for eons - I understand it went downhill for a time then recovered quite nicely - now a boutique-type property.

It's less than an hour from Hood River to the Maryhill Museum; you can easily tour the Gorge and see the museum in the same day. Note that by the time you're at Goldendale the scenery is very much high desert rather than the trees-and-waterfalls landscape around Cascade Locks or Hood River. I much prefer the drive on Washington side of the river between Cascade Locks and The Dalles, owing to the absence of freeway and the very frequent and un-serene trains roaring along the Oregon side. But there's nothing like the historic highway on the Oregon side for scenic (slow) drives.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Glenda

It has been a few years since we have stayed at the Columbia River Hotel, but it was a gem then and everything I have read or heard lately is that it still is. It is located right on the cliff of the Columbia River with amazing views. of the river. They are famous for their country breakfast. We love that part of Oregon and Washington. I hope you will drive up into the Hood River Valley all the way up to Mt. Hood if you have the time. I would also recommend taking one of the roads towards the Mt. Adams area, perhaps to Trout Lake in WA. Between Hood River and The Dalles the entire climate and environment changes dramatically from temperate forest to high desert. Quite a surprise to those who expect to see only rain forests in Oregon. May and early June are probably the best times to see this area as all the wheat fields are still green as are the apple and cherry orchards. Most of this area can be seen quite easily from your car, but a little walk at McCall Park at the top of the Rowena Loops on on the old highway (in OR) just west of The Dalles will take you into amazing wildflower fields on the windy bluff. I know you will enjoy your visit to this area.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:55 AM
April

Wonderful information. Thank you both. May would probably be better but we'd be going mid April.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Glenda

April will be fabulous as all the fruit trees should be in bloom. Enjoy!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:42 AM
John

Amen to the idea of touring around the Hood River area and Mt. Adams country.

Depending on how extensive your trip is and how much time you have, let me mention that the Washington Palouse country - from Walla Walla north toward Pullman and all around that area - is breathtaking in early spring, with the hummocky hills covered in greengreengreen wheat fuzz, blue rivers, etc. It's a relatively undiscovered area for spring travel but very, very rewarding. From The Dalles it's an hour or two further east by north; if you have an extra day or two I think you'd find it memorable.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:06 PM
April

Having had an appaloosa I am rather interested in the Palouse area and I'm all for going off the beaten path.
Other than the Gorge, this trip is completely loose and we are free to go which ever way we want, except that we want to go to McMinnville to see the Spruce Goose.

Thanks again to you both for your input. I can hardly wait to go.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:50 PM
April

Having had an appaloosa I am rather interested in the Palouse area and I'm all for going off the beaten path.
Other than the Gorge, this trip is completely loose and we are free to go which ever way we want, except that we want to go to McMinnville to see the Spruce Goose.

Thanks again to you both for your input. I can hardly wait to go.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:11 PM
Sara

Haven't stayed at the CG Hotel but I have heard that it is overpriced but if that isn't a concern it is pretty. A warning though Country breakfast means country - like biscuits and gravy stuff so if that isn't what you like the food may not be a draw. yuck!

The Gorge is full of stuff to see. Just outside of Troutdale get on the old scenic highway. It is very slow and curvy but beautiful. There are many waterfalls along the way with very nice paths (short and even) to them, check the sign so you know what before you head up the path. Crowne Point has a spectacular view and tells the history of the old highway. Of course Multnomah Falls is on the way too.

The Bonneville Dam is interesting and you can view the fish in the fish ladder and go to the sturgeon viewing and see the dinosaur fish (they have survived since that time!)

Hood River is a quaint little town with some very nice places to eat. Since you are going in April and the orchards are in bloom - maybe try the Mt. Hood Railroad. mthoodrr.com You will need to get reservations for this ASAP if you want to do it. There is also the sternwheeler on the Columbia that is fun.

Unfortunately we didn't have time for the Maryhill Museum when we were up there but it looks like a great one.

If you like driving then head up toward Mt Hood for some pretty vistas. As suggested Mt. Adams is also close - I just don't know about that area very well.

My suggestion is to drive out the scenic highway/hwy 84 to Hood River (or beyond) and cross the river and drive the Washington side back to Portland (assuming you are leaving from Portland). I would say 3-4 days could easily be filled depending on your pace. It can be very windy near the Gorge and damp too. So pack for layering and maybe a hat.

Enjoy - it is beautiful!!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:15 PM
April

Thanks for the extra information, Sara. I'm not sure whether to stay one night or two at the Columbia Gorge Hotel - don't like packing up every single day.

John, apparently I'll need a more detailed map, but at the moment I can't find a place called Pullman. What is it near?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:56 PM
John

It's on the Idaho line (opposite Moscow) halfway between the Oregon line and Spokane. Home of Washington State University, from whence comes Cougar Gold Cheese, yum.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:00 PM
john

On the country breakfast - it isn't just "biscuits & gravy". We were just up there for Christmas and it was pretty swell - lots of fruit, omelets, fresh baked breads etc. very nice, and an amazing view!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:49 PM
April

Of course I found it on the map just after posting. Not being American, I'm not familiar with the cheese but if it's cheddar I'll try it.

Thanks, John and john.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:57 AM
david

I've lived in Oregon all my life and I haven't seen it all. No matter what you like, from ocean to desert, it is all here in aboundance. From early November to late March the weather can be limiting but the rest is up to you.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:01 PM
April

Now that we're back...
I agree with John about the Washington side of the Gorge - very pretty, especially in spring with the bright green foliage and white blossoms, although the Oregon side was too with all the waterfalls, the old road and structures. (The Vista House is closed until 2004 or so.) We unfortunately did not get to the Palouse country this trip, but I will one of these days! It poured rain all the way through the Gorge and back, and I got tired of driving.

The Columbia Gorge Hotel? Their grounds are grand and worth visiting, but I think the place is a bit overpriced. I'm afraid I have to agree with Sara about the breakfast. Who could eat all that food? The slabs of pork on my plate and odd tasting scrambled eggs grossed me out. I should have skipped that course and gone onto the pancakes. The best part was the raspberries - don't know where they got such good ones in April - and the setting. Breakfast for non-guests apparently costs $55.00 for two.

The Charlie Russell painting wasn't on display when we were at the Maryhill museum, but there were lots of Rodin sculptures... and chess sets. Peacocks on the grounds are very friendly if they think you have food. It is an incredibly odd location for a museum. Some of the terrain reminded us of Arizona or the interior of British Columbia.

I liked Troutdale and thought the McMenamin's Edgefield Hotel had an interesting mix of guests and a nice location, although we didn't overnight there. My husband prefers newer places like the AmeriTel Hotel in Lacey, Washington (worth hanging your hat there just for the cookies at the front desk!). In Troutdale I got a kick out of having supper at Tad's Chicken 'n Dumplings.

Yamhill country is also lovely and must be an underrated part of Oregon. For anyone interested, the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville may look plain on the outside but inside it is really outstanding. We went twice.

Contrary to comments written on this forum, I didn't see that much difference between Lincoln City and Newport. Our room at the Inn at Spanish Head was just fine - we enjoyed their sand drawings on the beach each morning. We arrived in a storm and woke up to a beautiful sunny day. Either way is great on the coast. And what a coast! I always wanted to go the top of a lighthouse and finally got to do it.

A few random comments.
- People on the Europe forum worry about cigarette smoke in Europe, but I was struck by the smokiness of some restaurants and hotels in the US, not to mention downright filthy carpets. The Ramada in Olympia, Washington (what's with that in a capitol city?) was so appalling we walked in and back out again as we did in a few restaurants.
- Gas in Washington and Oregon is quite cheap. We thought the pump was faulty the first time we filled up.
- We thought service industry people nearly everywhere were a cut above and made our trip a pleasure.

Thanks again to everyone here for their input. I'd like to return to this area in the summer or early fall to visit the parts we missed and revisit the parts we didn't.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:58 PM
xxx

After spending a week in smokefree California, I was overwhelmed by the smokiness of all of the Oregon restaurants. I guess all of the rain must help to breed smokers.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:28 PM
April

And even though they call hotel rooms non-smoking, people are smoking in them anyway, except maybe at the Columbia Gorge Hotel where they charge a $150 cleaning fee and their smoke detectors are supposedly set to go off if you light a candle.

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Valentine's at the Columbia Gouge Hotel...

I would like to take this opportunity to share my girlfriend?s and my experience of spending our Valentine?s at the Columbia River Gorge Hotel. Hopefully, our experience will help you to reconsider staying at this hotel.

1. Hotel staff assured me 3 times room in 3 different ways (i.e., mail confirmation, over the phone, in person upon check-in) that my debit card was charged for 100% room deposit upon reservation and check-in?imagine the frustration when upon check out that the hotel had not charged my card yet. Good thing I brought my back up credit card since I was under the impression I would only have to pay for incidentals upon check out.
2. Certain areas of the hotel smell faintly of mildew/dog/fish, but to the staff, it?s the smell of home.
3. Champagne and caviar served at the social hour are best consumed with impaired gustatory senses as it offends the educated palette.
4. No bell service provided.
5. Front desk would not charge cash to my room so tip I might tip the musicians.
6. Grounds are 100 times better at the Salish Lodge.
7. Historical and overall ambience is 50 times better at any McMenamins??and cheaper.
8. I was laughed at by the front desk and maintenance for clogging the toilet?yeah, I clogged the toilet, but I don?t need to be laughed at by what-should-be professional hotel staff.

I sent a letter of complaint via US mail to the management of the Columbia River Gorge Hotel two months ago, plus two e-mails since. I have still not received any response ... not so much as an apology for the terrible experience that my girlfriend and I paid to endure. For this, if not for everything else listed in the above letter, demonstrates the overall poor customer service that the Columbia River Gorge Hotel has to offer. At any rate, my girlfriend and I vowed to never return to that ill-ran, backwards hotel that so many people mistakenly praise. You might ask yourself, why are many guests so pleased with their experience here at the Columbia Gorge Hotel? I am baffled.

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had a wonderful stay at the Columbia Gorge Hotel a few years ago. The front desk staff was one of the friendliest I have ever encountered at a hotel and we stay in a lot of hotels.

The farm country breakfast is one of the best I have ever head. Trout, eggs, oatmeal, bacon, sausage, pancakes, etc. Anything you could possibly want and very good.

We were very pleased with our stay there and hope to try it this summer when we tour the Gorge area.

They even allowed our Vizsla to stay in our room with us and adored her! ***kim***
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM
uuhhhh

"Certain areas of the hotel smell faintly of..dog.., but to the staff, it's the smell of home."

vizsla, perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -