summer, but we have no idea where to start. We
enjoy sightseeing and shopping but are not into
sports. Can anyone suggest where to go, what hotels
are nice, good restaurants, etc. Also which airport
to fly into, and any tips on touring by car would
be good. Thanks so much!

Old Dec 30th, 1997, 09:54 AM
DGM

There is plenty of sightseeing to see. In Denver there is the Mint, where money is made, as well as the air force accademy. Colorado Springs is nice and the Royal Gorge is there, Also Rocky Mt. National Park near Estes Park. I know that there are train rides too. When we were there we took a bus ride through some of the old mining towns-very interesting. There's cowboy shows in the evening in Estes Park that are good and include food.

Old Dec 31st, 1997, 02:34 PM
Larry

Denver best for fares as a fly-in. Smaller airports seem to cost more. I'll send some info direct e-mail so the net site addresses will activate. Just click on them to visit site. You'll love it but be prepared for temperatures from high 90's to near freezing (at higher altitudes). Enjoy

Old Dec 31st, 1997, 04:09 PM
Erika

Check both fares into Denver and Colorado Springs. Sometimes, the fares into the Springs are lower than into Denver. I suggest taking the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad trip. It's lots of fun, and the only narrow gauge railroad left. Beautiful country. It follows the Animas River. Durango is in the southwest corner of Colorado, and the San Juan Skyway is a must. Driving, you would take the loop from Durango, passing Silverton, do stop at Ouray (pronounced You-ray) , passing Ridgeway, Telluride (worthwhile stopping) and back to Durango. The San Juan Skyway is designated one of the 6 most scenic roads in the US. It is truly spectacular, and although you drive through passes at 14,000 ft, it is an easy drive. Obviously, some of the passes are closed in the winter/spring. I echo seeing Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park. Check dates that the drive through the park is open. I think it only opens June 1. Have a great trip. Erika

Old Jan 1st, 1998, 10:05 AM
Alan

Trail Ridge Road between Estes Park and Grand Lake runs through Rocky Mtn Nat Park and is a very nice high altitude drive. Usually lots of wildlife along the way. Snow at the high altitudes so check before going to see if road is open. (it is a major road so is well maintained). Echo the southwestern things but it you are down there check out Great Sand Dunes Nat Monument(near Alamosa), Mesa Verde Nat Park in far SW corner provides interesting Indian ruins.
If you go there stay at the lodge inside the park. Make Reservations well in advance during summer months.

Agree with above, ck Colorado Springs, airfares many times cheaper depending on where you are coming from, but then you have to drive the 75 miles to Denver if that is where you are going. Lots to see around Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak, Air Force Acad, Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls to name a few as well as Royal Gorge in Canyon City.)

In Denver a lot of neat areas around Coors Stadium (don't have to go to ball game) in the way of resturants, a number of micro breweries & shopping. Same for rejuvinated Larimer Square. For a unique dining experience try "The Fort" near Morrison (little west of Denver, Red Rocks Ampitheatre is there also and a treat in itself if you catch a concert. Interesting just to visit tho.) a bit pricey but excellent and unique. You never know who you might see there.

Colorado is full of treasures, too many to see in a short visit. You'll love it. Have a good trip.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 03:59 AM
Larry

All the suggestions are good. Reference to Durango narrow gage railroad as the only one left is not correct. Cumbres & Tolyec out of Antonito, CO or Chama, NM is a great ride. If a train buff, the Chama start point is great as they allow you to wander all over the train yard watching preparations and the photo ops along the road for 'chasing' are much better than other R/Rs.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 08:39 PM
Angie

All of the above suggestions are great but remember that it takes 5-6 hrs of driving time over several mountain passes to get to the southwest corner of Colorado(Durango) from either Denver or C.Springs. Why not check out the mountain ski towns? There are lots of things to do and see and great shopping in Aspen or Vail or Summit County. All of these areas publish visitors guides for summer that have all the information you need. Have fun exploring our beautiful state!

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 12:43 PM
Debbie

The Durango area is beautiful. For a different view, you might try jeeping, if you dare!! Views are like no other. There are jeeping "outfitters" in Silverton, Rocky Mtn Jeep Tours. We went a few years ago, and rented a jeep for a day @ $120.00 and you can drive it yourself. They do give maps!!! Be prepared for the experience of your life!!! Also near Durango, are some evening rodeos. Purgatory Ski Resort has resonable summer rates. In Denver, eat at Casa Bonita, kids and "Big kids" love it. Central City, west of Denver is an interesting mining town to explore. Have a great time!!!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 08:25 PM
Mona

The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs is a WONDERFUL place to stay. Castle Rock, just south of Denver has a great outlet mall. Denver has new upscale mall on south side of Denver called Park Meadow. Cripple Creek is old mining town that offers gambling. Up the mountain from the Broadmoor is Will Rogers Shrine and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Estes Park, north of Denver, is beautiful. Canon City has Royal Gorge. Take the ariel tram or walk across the suspended bridge over the canyon.

Old Feb 24th, 1998, 06:37 PM
Eileen

I highly recommend Crested Butte. We go there every summer as well as during ski season,and we absolutely love it! The only problem is it's not on the beaten path, but very worth the effort to get there. It's a very quaint, beautiful place, with tons to do and fabulous restaurants. If you're interested, feel free to e-mail me for more info.

Old Mar 2nd, 1998, 10:30 AM
Maureen

Some great suggestions above. I also recommend driving from Denver to Boulder(28 miles via Rtes.25 and 36); visit the Pearl Street Mall, which is closed to traffic. From there, drive Rte. 7 through Nederland and on to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. You can stop along the way and see herds of Elk quite closely. Colorado doesn't usually get bad heat waves, but it can get near the 100 mark on occasion. In the high mountains and in Rocky Mountain National Park, some of the areas have permanent glaciers, and it can get really cold and windy, so be prepared.

Driving through Colorado is like driving through the alps. Keep your eyes on the road on mountain passes which zigzag and circle around mountains, often with no guard rails. It is a feast for the eyes and the soul. Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 1998, 10:33 AM
Maureen

Some great suggestions above. I also recommend driving from Denver to Boulder(28 miles via Rtes.25 and 36); visit the Pearl Street Mall, which is closed to traffic. From there, drive Rte. 7 through Nederland and on to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. You can stop along the way and see herds of Elk quite closely. Colorado doesn't usually get bad heat waves, but it can get near the 100 mark on occasion. In the high mountains and in Rocky Mountain National Park, some of the areas have permanent glaciers, and it can get really cold and windy, so be prepared.

Driving through Colorado is like driving through the alps. Keep your eyes on the road on mountain passes which zigzag and circle around mountains, often with no guard rails. It is a feast for the eyes and the soul. Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 1998, 10:35 AM
Maureen

Old Mar 2nd, 1998, 10:36 AM
Maureen

Some great suggestions above. I also recommend driving from Denver to Boulder(28 miles via Rtes.25 and 36); visit the Pearl Street Mall, which is closed to traffic. From there, drive through Nederland and on to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. You can stop along the way and see herds of Elk quite closely. Colorado doesn't usually get bad heat waves, but it can get near the 100 mark on occasion. In the high mountains and in Rocky Mountain National Park, some of the areas have permanent glaciers, and it can get really cold and windy, so be prepared.