Colorado Ski Season Opens ------

Oct 12th, 2019, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Colorado Ski Season Opens ------

The Colorado ski season is underway. Arapaho Basin opened yesterday afternoon and Keystone today. One of the earliest starts every. Hopefully it will be a long season this year.
Oct 12th, 2019, 06:31 PM

I thought that was a cheap move by Arapahoe, to suddenly open at 3:30, in order to beat Keystone’s announced opening the following morning. I mean, really, if they’re open for 1/2 hour, does that really count?
Oct 13th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Aw -- come on. It is all in good fun. They opened early afternoon. A-Basin has long had the reputation of being open the longest of all ski areas but that is mostly because most of the skiing is above tree line. Keystone's opening might also be questionable since they only had one green run of about two miles in length open. It is the symbolism more than anything and some bragging rights. It is time anyway to hang the bike and tune the skis. Thanksgiving is five weeks away?
Oct 13th, 2019, 03:08 PM

It was reported they opened at 3:30.
I just don’t get the fascination with who opens first or who closes last. Big whoop.
I am not ready for snow. Hoping for a loooong Fall season, and for the leaves to fall before much snow hits the trees.
Oct 13th, 2019, 04:43 PM

I'm ready for snow! Our annual Vail trip is booked and Epic passes purchased!
Oct 14th, 2019, 05:17 PM

Used to ski before health issues, thinking maybe this year!! Don't think I'm going to get it down to $1/run these days, though (and my skins are probably antiques). Pallavicini, here I come!
Oct 15th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

No, you might get it down to $10 a run. And the days of $1/day ski rentals are long gone also. That is what was charged when I led my first ski group to Winter Park in '63.