Colorado, S.D. Wyoming

Search

Colorado, S.D. Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado, S.D. Wyoming

FINALLY getting to come to see part of the west. Flying into and out of Denver for 3 weeks early October. Plan is to do a loop taking in Parts of the Rockies in and around Denver, including Pike's Peak, Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Jackson. I'm thinking 2-3 days in Colorado, then on to Badlands, Mt. Rushmore area (1-2 days including travel from Colorado), then over to Yellowstone for 2-3? days, down to Tetons, andJackson for a couple of days and back to Denver. Our main interest are seeing things of nature and wildlife. That's going to put us at close to 2 weeks, with a week left. I don't want to be on a strick schedule to the point I have to be at a certain location on a certain day (unless it's Yellowstone for lodging) Looking for off the beaten path areas, and do we need to branch out a little more with the other week or just see things inbetween the mentioned areas. Thanks for all imput.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Hi JF,

First of all, Check to see when certain YS roads and facilities close. Head there first as the weather is iffy at that time of year. Then to Black Hills. After these places you might re-think Pike's Peak as you will have seen many gorgeous mountain vistas. By then you might be ready for other tpes of attractions-historical, museums, small mountain mining towns, etc.--the Denver area is full of them.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Not nearly long enough in Colorado. It is a drop dead gorgeous state with much to see--and some of the distances are not as great as say, getting to the Badlands (which are also wonderful).
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

What areas of Colorado should be focus on? And will it be peak leaf season? Thanks very much
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM

For CO there are many choices, Durango and Cortez, Rocky Mt. Nat. Park area, including Estes Park the Maroon Bells, the wine country close to Grand Junction. Steamboat Springs, Vail etc., dinosaur monnument near Rifle. Hard to narrow down.
Be aware that in Oct, some of the roads in Yellowstone may be closed for the winter already.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

I am going to reverse the trip, heading to Jackson, Grand Teton and Yellowstone, thanks to you all. Is 1-2 days enough time in Jackson and Tetons before heading to Yellowstone?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Peak leaf season is closer to mid September than mid October. By third week of Oct some of the ski areas will be open. And the possibility that some of the high mountains passes will have closed -- Trail Ridge Road, Independence Pass, etc. So you need to plan for the potential of winter weather.

For a point of reference -- the earliest snow in Denver was Sept 3rd in 61. On average the first snow in Denver will occured by Oct 19th which means that it will have snowed much earlier in the mountains at higher elevations. October is our transition month from summer to winter and weather is very unpredictable. Just be prepared.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

We will arrive around lunch at Denver, heading to Estes Park, looking at Alpine Trail Ridge Inn. Is this a good first location? Should we spend one or two nights here before heading towards Yellowstone?
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 07:14 AM

I'd add at that the Bighorn Nountains in N Central WY are spectacular. Frankly, I found this better than Yellowstone.
On the way from Cody to SD, you would go thru it. Nearby is Bighorn Canyon, well worth stopping at the Devils Canyon Overlook. 1000 foot sheer drop to the river below. Then up the mountains thru Shell Canyon and up near the top (actually, a ways back down if coming up Shell Canyon, but on the way up if you take the other route, Alt 14-very steep) is one of the most increible waterfall scenes, Bucking Mule Falls, which is about 500 feet and then has a great view down the canyon (back toward the Bighorn Canyon where you would have just come from). You have to drive about 10 miles down the dirt forest service road (fine for a normal car when I was there first few days in October) and then an easy 2-3 mile hike, I think it was. There's another great waterfall, Shell Falls, on the way up Shell Canyon. I'd do the whole loop. Sheridan is a cool wild west type town to check out when you come down the eastern side.

You didn't mention Devils Tower, but you have to stop there. Walking around the base of that was just fantastic.

Also, Custer State Park in the Black Hills has the largest herd of bison in the US-3000 or so I think, and the first weekend in October is the annual roundup. It's a big event there, although it sounds like you'd be coming that way at the end of your trip.

If you're a hiker, the hike to the summit of Harney Peak in the Black Hills is a must do if it's a clear day.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much weimarer. I will certainly add these drives/towns, etc to my list. A friend had told me not to miss Devils Tower, but I hadn't thought to check to see where it is. Thanks a lot
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM

We visited Yellowstone two summers ago. (We live in Boulder) I was really disappointed. Most of the park is still dead from the big fire they had years ago, so scenery is not lush as you would expect. We stayed in the park at one of the sites hotel was really run down...Gov't is not spending money to maintain the facilities. Buffalo are everywhere and that is fun but some really dumb people try to get out and take pics with them..don't do this..very dangerous! We ate at a place that was a big yellow hotel (Sorry forgot the name) Very well know though inside the park. It was pricey but was excellent.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:03 AM

>Most of the park is still dead from the big fire they had years ago, so scenery is not lush as you would expect.

It takes time for Nature to repair things. If you think the park is "dead" now you should have seen the Park the year after the big fire of 88.

Yellowstone is a beautiful place..
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM

"We visited Yellowstone two summers ago. (We live in Boulder) I was really disappointed."

I kinda was too when I was there in first week of October couple year ago. Not that there's anything bad about it at all, no by no means! Just that the scenery, burnt/dead trees aside, just wasn't as great as I was expecting. Canyon and falls were, for sure. I liked the Badlands/Black Hills/Devils Tower/Bighorn Mtns stretch of my trip much better.

There was hardly any wildlife to be seen at all there then, other than some elk hanging out by the lodge and some bison, and I'd already seen plenty of them in SD.
There was a throng of people trying to get a sight of a single black bear, which was not a big deal for me, coming from Virginia where there are more black bear in Shenandoah Park alone than all of Yellowstone. Run into them all the time hiking there. I was really hoping to see a grizzly, but they had probably all started to retire for the winter then.

I was only there for a couple days anyway, so not really enough time. I'll have to go back in summer.