colorado itinerary for 7 day trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

family of 6 - 2 adults. 4 kids: 15,13,10,7 years old.
flying to denver thursday 8/25 arrival noon. picking up rv.
returning rv to denver friday 9/2. flying out at noon.
any suggestions on travel itinerary. so many great places to see.
need help narrowing down.
? how many days in rocky mountain natl park?
? is it worth the drive into utah to go to arches/zion natl park or wait for another trip?
HELP! Trip is 1 week away!
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My $.02 is save Utah for another trip. Too much to see in both places for a week's dash.

Consider a Colorado Loop: Denver - Boulder - Estes Park - Grand Lake - Leadville - Aspen - Salida - Great Sand Dunes - Florissant Fossil Beds - Colorado Springs - Denver. Various options there, but that will keep you busy for a week and the places are different enough.

What are your interests? That will help folks steer you some ideas.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM

You really don't have enough time for Zion, you could squeeze in Arches if you really wanted to, but you would probably be better off saving Utah for another trip and flying into either Salt Lake City or Las Vegas.

As for Colorado, Nelson gave you one idea but here's another loop idea. Rocky Mountain National Park 2 nights (3 if you can get a camping spot that first night), Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park one night, Mesa Verde National Park 2 nights, Great Sand Dunes one night, Pikes Peak area one night and back to Denver.

You might need to make camping reservations to make sure you can get a spot at Rocky Mountain National Park. It's been years since we've been there.

Utahtea
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM

I would recommend a loop that goes through Breckenridge, Glenwood Springs and then down to Ouray. I'd also want to drive out to Mesa Verde before looping back to Denver.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:58 PM

I like Utahtea's suggestion. Add an Alpine Slide ride somewhere along the way. Buy a National Park Pass and save some money, if you go to multiple parks or if you think you will go to more parks in the next 12 months.

I stayed at Morraine Park campground in Rocky Mountain National Park a couple of weeks ago and it was GREAT! From what I could tell, I think it is probably the best one. It does not have hookups though. You will not find hookups at very many national parks. You would have to stay outside the parks(in most cases)for hookups.
We stopped at Whole Foods in Boulder and stocked up on supplies.

If you really like to hike you could easily spend 4 or 5 days in Rocky Mountain National Park.

The Great Sand Dunes are a little out of the way, but they are remarkable. I like to see them around June 1 when the creek is running. I also like to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle for the primitive road.

Mesa Verde is one of my very favorite parks. Your kids might not expect much, but they will be suprised by how much they like it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, agree that Mesa Verde should be on the itinerary. I omitted in my original suggestion (because I hate driving driving), but it is a special place. utahtea's plan is a good one. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 08:53 AM

I agree with Nelson's plan: Denver - Boulder - Estes Park - Grand Lake - Leadville - Aspen - Salida - Great Sand Dunes - Florissant Fossil Beds - Colorado Springs - Denver.

Gives you a good sample of Colorado. Personally, I would not drive all the way to the Black Canyon from RMNP for one night.