Search

Colorado in Fall

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Martin

Colorado in Fall

We will have completed a 3 week tour including Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone (3 nights)Bryce (2) Zion(2) Grand(1) Flagstaff (week exchange)Moa2) and Durango(2) via Mesa Verde.We now have 3 or 4 days left before we need to fly home from Denver on 14th October '03. We should love to travel Million Dollar Highway & then Gunnison Canyon. What else is essential viewing? Any recommendations/ideas/nice places to stay for a day or two?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:25 AM
travellyn

If at all possible, time your visit to the Black Canyon, Durango and the Million Dollar Highway somewhere between the start of your trip and October 1. In SW Colorado, aspen colors usually peak between Sept 15 and Oct 1, depending on elevation. With the 3000 foot elevation change on the Million Dollar Highway, you will be sure to catch an area with leaves at their peak. If you can't do this, don't worry, you will surely see some great colors somewhere on this fantastic trip.

With all the driving you'll be doing, you may want to spend a little more time at the Grand Canyon and/or Mesa Verde, instead of adding another destination.

Pagosa Springs (on US 160, 70 miles east of Durango) would be a nice last stop because it has such lovely views of high mountains around the Continental Divide, and the springs are so relaxing. You'd then have a 6 hour drive to get to DIA.

Glenwood Springs would also be a good choice after the Black Canyon or Moab. It's also beautiful, with hot springs, and it's closer to DIA than Pagosa is.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 10:33 AM
KK

I also liked the Glenwood Springs area, and the bike path in Glenwood Canyon along the Colorado River (you could walk along the path if you don't have bikes). The way the interstate is built through that canyon is simply amazing.

What about Pike's Peak in the Colorado Springs area?

If you like gambling at all, I thought Cripple Creek (near Colorado Springs)was a cute little town (all set up for gambling) and very low limit so you don't spend a lot. I remember there being an old gold mine there that you could take tours of as well. I think Colorado has some other little gambling towns as well, if you have any interest in those.

In Springdale (by Zion), I recommend Flannigan's for lodging, but it seemed to me there were a number of nice places to choose from in that area.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Judson

Martin,

Sounds like an ambitious plan. After you leave Durango head North over Coal Bank Hill, Molas Pass, and Red Mountain Pass. (collectively know as the Million Dollar highway) Spend the night in Ouray and soak your bones in any one of several hot springs/spas in Ouray. Then head to the Black Canyon National Park on the Gunnison River. The views are better from the north side but not as practical as from the south and you will be tired of driving. I would send you back to Denver via Gunnison over Monarch pass and then through Buena Vista etc instead of up to Glenwood and I-70. Glenwood is crowded and the hot pools in Ouray are cheaper and much less crowded. I-70 itself is not a very pretty trip to Denver (I live on it at Grand Junction, CO). Let me know if I can help. Fred Judson [email protected]

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Judson

Martin,

Sounds like an ambitious plan. After you leave Durango head North over Coal Bank Hill, Molas Pass, and Red Mountain Pass. (collectively know as the Million Dollar highway) Spend the night in Ouray and soak your bones in any one of several hot springs/spas in Ouray. Then head to the Black Canyon National Park on the Gunnison River. The views are better from the north side but not as practical as from the south and you will be tired of driving. I would send you back to Denver via Gunnison over Monarch pass and then through Buena Vista etc instead of up to Glenwood and I-70. Glenwood is crowded and the hot pools in Ouray are cheaper and much less crowded. I-70 itself is not a very pretty trip to Denver (I live on it at Grand Junction, CO). Let me know if I can help. Fred Judson [email protected]