Search

Colorado Aspens

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Aspens

My husband & I are a trip to Colorado the 3rd week in September. Thanks to a Fodor's member we have reservations at Boulder Brook. My new question--what route should be taken to view the aspens. Also, are the Wilderness Tours in Estes Park worth trying. Thanks.!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM

What town or area are you visiting? Or maybe I should ask "where is Boulder Brook"?
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Boulder Brook is in Estes Park - I've stayed there and it's wonderful! The third week in Sept. is shaping up to be a great time to view the changing aspens - they've just started to turn in the higher elevations, so your timing will be good, I think.

A spectacular route to see aspens and gorgeous mountain scenery is along the Peak-to-Peak Hwy which is Route 7 south out of Estes. It is a designated "Colorado Scenic Byway" road. After Allenspark, it turns into Hwy 72 to Nederland. A great circular route back to Estes would be to take Hwy 119 from Nederland to Boulder through the Boulder Canyon and return to Estes via Hwy 36. That drive would take about three hours total, but you could stop in Boulder for lunch and make a day out of it. You will see aspen!

There are also some aspen in the park, driving up to Trail Ridge Road. There's one corner in particular as you start to climb, that should be in full color.

I've not done the Wilderness Tour, but it looks like it might be fun. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Boulder Brook is in Estes Park. The Peak-to-Peak route sounds perfect. Has anyone tried the Wilderness Tours in Estes Park, Colorado? Thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM

The secret to finding Aspens at a specific time is altitude. If the trees are still green, go lower. If they are already dried up, go higher.

In the third week in September you probably won't come up empty handed, but you need to be flexible.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 08:59 AM

If the trees are still green, go lower.

Always works the opposite for me ... if they are green at 8,000 ft maybe they've started to change colors at 10,000 ft ...

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I stand corrected. I wrote too fast and said it backwards.