Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

College student who needs advice on shipping.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:56 PM
Jeremy

To anyone who might care:
I'm an entering college student moving from Washington State to New York. I have lots of things that I want to get over there, but am not sure of the best way to get all my stuff shipped there. I can't drive or rent a u-haul, and everything else seem so expensive. Any suggestions or comments regarding this would be highly appreciated.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 12:16 AM
Jennifer

Aloha,

When I moved cross-country from Boston to Seattle after college, UPS ground was the cheapest shipper. I shipped for big, heavy boxes for about $100. Plan on about 1-2 weeks transit time. You'll be able to pick up a lot of stuff there on the cheap. Pack light. You'll move a lot, and have to keep schlepping it around.

Good luck with school! Jen

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:18 AM
rheianne

Jeremy,

I agree with Jennifer, use UPS ground. I used them a couple years back to ship all my belonging home after school. Try not to ship boxes that are too big, however, because if they exceed a certain size, it will cost more under their "dimensional weight" calculations. I'm sure their price and size schedule is on their website. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Rebecca

Maybe someone can drive a vehicle cross-county with your stuff??

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 08:18 PM
barb

I work for a store that does shipping and UPS is the best way to go. 99% of our packages get there on time and there is a bulk rate for lots of boxes. Price is very reasonable and you can insure your shipment. good luck