Reload this Page >

Coffee Cafe Near MoMA NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Kristen

Any suggestion for a nice dessert/coffee place near the Museum of Modern Art? Looking for something besides Starbucks - we have that at home! And, can anyone comment on the restaurant at the Museum? Is it a nice place for lunch? Also, thinking of Serendipity for another day when we will be a little further uptown, I read somewhere that there is a "minimum" could you tell me how much (coffe & dessert is great - but not if it is $25!) Thanks for your help!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:22 AM
ryan

One of the newest trends in the NYC restaurant scene is the proliferation of French Bistro's, Brasseries and Patisseries. Some are quite good.

While a little further north than the MOMA, Payard at Lexington and 75th is terrific. The pastries are really out of this world. Orsay, about a block away has some great food, as well.

Closer to the MOMA is Montpanarsse on 51st between 2nd and 3rd.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Merilee

I remember a cafe in the museum on the ground floor...I think it's called the Garden Cafe...I know it often gets crowded, but it's a good place to sit and watch the people...there's also an Italian restaurant there called Sette MoMA that overlooks the sculpture garden...I haven't eaten there, but I remember it was full and it looked nice...I recommend having dessert and coffee at Serendipity, and it won't cost $25.00, at least not per person...perhaps the minimum is for credit card purchases.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:17 AM
patty

I don't know when you're visiting, Kristen, but FYI - MoMA is closing on May 21 this year until 2005. Sette MoMA, their restaurant, is open until the closing but the outdoor sculpture garden has been and will be closed until 2005. If you want to see the sculptures, they will be exhibited at the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx (near the Zoo) starting April 26. And some of the rest of MoMA will be in Long Island City, Queens. I think there will be bus service from MoMA Manhattan to MoMA Queens. Have fun here!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Kristen

Patty - thanks for the info. We'll be in NYC April 19-25. I read a little about the closings and I was trying to determine what exhibits would be open during our stay. Thought we'd spend some time there and then go for a nice coffee and dessert - - any further comments/thoughts? This board has been very helpful - thanks to all you have responded so far!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:20 AM
ttt

ttt