Cody to Canyon; Jackson

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cody to Canyon; Jackson

We are flying into Billings Aug 31 and staying one night in Red Lodge. Then Beartooth (doing it first thing since chance of bad weather) to Chief Joseph to Cody. After a few days, we will head to Canyon (have reservations). Is the Route 14/16/20 from Cody into the Park really lovely or should we repeat the Chief Joseph? At the end of our trip, we are looking at The Point in Jackson but I see very little about it on this forum. We don't want high-end and we're not B&B types, but we will want a nice place after Ystone accommodations. Thank you. What an amazing resource this forum is. I could not have planned our trip without it.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Not as spectacular as Beartooh & Chief Joseph, I think the direct route from Cody is a very interesting drive. On the other hand, I really love the drive from Cooke City to Tower Junction though Lamar Valley. On balance, I'd do direct route from Cody since you've seen a lot of the other route already.

We usually stay in GTNP at one of the lodges so can't help with the Jackson lodging.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Can't help you with the drive, but just returned from Jackson. A couple places we saw in town that folks really liked was The Best Western, and the Rusty Parrot. We stayed at the Wort Hotel and we LOVED it. We aren't b&b types, and places like the Snake River Lodge and Four Seasons are too pricey, and too far from town. The Wort is on the main street in Jackson so no need to taxi it when you go out and about, you can walk to almost everything. The Wort is high end western decor and has a good popular bar with good bands playing most nights. Have fun, the whole place is spectacular and we arecalready planning a trip back for next year because we had so much fun.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 04:12 AM

I would do the 14/16 route as you have already done the beartooth. The hoodoos are unique. We also stopped at the dam, and found the history interesting. You will go by Yellowstone Lake which is beautiful.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM

MY Dad lives in Cody..and we visit him & Yellowstone alot.

I highly rec East Entrance into/thru Cody. Cody is a great little town: shoot em up demos, wonderful Buffalo Bill Museum, Bifg Horn Sheep exhibit and on the way out of town toward Yellowstone a Super size Walmart for suplies (w a Subway)

Re; JAckson, we stayed in JAckson Hole (& rec) at the Rock Resort Snake River Lodge... we found a great specialon teh website and it hasa wonderful pool and great restaurant.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM

We are booked in Canyon for four nights, then Old Faithful Inn, but I wonder about giving up our last Canyon night and going to Cody. I think I'd exit Yellowstone via the northeastern route and Chief Joseph Hwy, overnight in Cody to see a few attractions there, and return to the park via the east entrance and on to OF. Does this plan make sense, or can someone suggest another route that might be better? thanks for any advice.(We are flying in and out of Jackson and staying first/last nights there, plus two in GTNP.)