Codmments on these Pittsburgh Hotels Please

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 06:15 AM
Elizabeth

Codmments on these Pittsburgh Hotels Please

My husband and goddaughter are visiting Penn State and plan to stopover this Saturday in Pittsburgh to visit the Carnegie and Warhol museums. Hotel availability is tight - I would appreciate comments on the following hotels, particularly the relative safety of the neighbourhoods.

Ramada Inn 2898 Banksville Road
Econo Lodge 4800 Steubenville Pike
Residence Inn Pittsburgh Oakland

The Doubletree is booked - as are most of the downtown hotels.

Any comments are appreciated - also Mexican Restaurant suggestions are always welcome!

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Allan

I'd take a Residence Inn any day of the week over the other two. Plus, I believe the other two are near the airport, about ten miles west of the city, while Oakland is adjacent to downtown.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 09:13 AM
help

I just erased my whole answer to your Question..so I`ll shorten this..stay at the Residence Inn...it`s closer..mex Rest... Mad Mex*** winner of Pgh Mex rest..at 370 Atwood St,in Oakland---Madonna M at 3715 Forbes in Oakland---La Fiesta at 346 Atwood St.---Cozumel Restaurante Mexicano at 5507 Walnut St. in Shadyside(close to Oakland)...also in the burbs Jose and Tony`s and Franklin Inn and Don Pablo`s(if You need I`ll give add.)
but there are rest. in Oakland and yo don`t need to travel...go see the Nationality Rooms at Pitt,too.. they`re lovely...let me know if you need other info....

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 09:18 AM
elizabeth

Thanks Allan and "help" - booked the Residence Inn with much greater peace of mind.

I've read about the Nationality Rooms and will add it to the list!

Regards

Elizabeth

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 10:36 AM
help

forgot to mention it is the Autumn Leaf Festival in Clarion,Pa. right off interstate 80 this weekend..parade and whole deal...leaves will be beautiful this week-end...also as in any big city, I wouldn`t walk around Oakland late at night by myself ...the 3 of you should be fine..just be aware..please don`t let me scare you...also check out the strip district,it`s unique...The Heinz History Center is located there and your god-daughter might like that..if you like German food..and are on the North Side To see the Warhol Mus.~there is a restaurant named Max`s Allegheny Tavern on Suisman St.a few blocks from Allegheny Gen. Hosp.~ if you want a view of the city go on top of Mt. Washington...there is a nice rest. called Grandview Saloon...(on Grandview Ave and ride the incline) check out Station Sq. and the Riverboats..(on The South Side)..I guess there is too much to do..Have fun most of all..as you can tell I love Pgh....

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 11:04 AM
Sharon

My hubby is from that area. Find a hole-in-the-wall and get a pizza. There are so many 2nd and 3rd generation Americans in the area, you can find awesome pizza all over the place!

Down near the University of Pittsburgh campus is a famous sandwich shop (excuse my spelling) - Permani Brothers.

The Strip District is really supposed to be awesome now.

Don't know about hotel availability. My in-laws live on the northeast side of Pittsburgh. But check out some of the Pittsburgh web sites! Pittsburgh's reputation for being a dirty steel town is about as well-deserved as the South's is for illiterate rednecks, Las Vegas's for nothing but gambling, New York's for high-crime, rude and obnoxious, etc.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 01:27 PM
elizabeth

Not that we planned to take any late night walks.........but apart from that we shouldn't be worried about Oakland - right?? Given that we're from Toronto, I'm assuming just a normal "big city cautionary stance" - is that correct?

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 01:30 PM
help

It is Parmanti bros'and the sandwiches have any kind of meat you want with home cut fries nd cole slaw on them..um..um..there is one in Oakland-Southside-downtown-and The Strip...also Have A Happy Day Cafe is cute in the Strip(on Penn Ave...the truckers started the "P" sand.--on the run and thrown together to eat(rumor anyway)...tons of Pizza places..check out www.In-pittsburgh.com----

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 01:34 PM
help

No Worry,Elizabeth...just normal big city....have a good time..I think I O.D. you in info..sorry..

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 10:28 AM
Judy

Elizabeth, I trust your visit to Pittsburgh was pleasant. (You helped me with B&B plans when I was in Toronto). Anyways, just to clarify the restaurant mentioned by previous posters -- it's Primantis. If you should come to visit again, other places of interest are the Clayton House in Point Breeze, the Science Museum, Phipps Conservatry, and the Aviary.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 07:47 AM
elizabeth

Thanks Judy - and to all for your help. Trip was a great success - My husband and goddaughter (I had to work so stayed home) really enjoyed the Carnegie Museum and Science Centre (and the submarine). They enjoyed both Mad Mex and Primantis, and toured the South Side and the Strip and rode up the funicular. There was a Steelers game, so saw "tailgating" firsthand (not a Canadian football thing!).

The Residence Inn worked out well - apparently it's like an apartment building - minimal hotel services but the room (actually a 2 bedroom apartment for $195US) was nice and spotlessly clean.

And once again thanks to Fodors for providing this site - virtually all of this trip was planned via this forum.

Regards

Elizabeth