Reload this Page >

Coastal Southern Maine Lodging Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Joan

Going to Southern Maine Memorial Day weekend -- would love to go further North, but living in NJ, Southern ME is about as much of a drive as we can handle this time around. There will actually be three of us - so we'd need a place that has at least two beds, preferably two bedrooms. Thanks for your help!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Laura

What type of accomodation are you looking for? B&B, Hotel? And when you say southern Maine, how far north are you thinking of going?

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Joan

Hi Laura, thanks for writing....A B&B or country inn would be our best bets - although a nice hotel/resort would work as well. I'd really only rule out motel-type places. I think the furthest North we're willing to go is Kennebunkport - which does seem to be a great destination (I've never been to Maine). Price up to about $225/nt. In my search today, I found the Maine Stay Inn in Kennebunkport, which seems very nice - there are two room suites which works for us, and also a two bedroom cottage on the grounds that also seems ideal. Anyone with any feedback on this accomodation/destination or any others would be very greatly appreciated!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Laura

The Whitebarn in is absolutely fantastic for both a restaurant and accomomodations; I would guess they have a 2-bedroom suite. But it's on the pricey side. If you could afford it, that would be my vote.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Alissa

I would recommend Ogunquit, ME. I spent my summers growing up there as my grandparents owned a cottage. Now, when I go, I always stay at the Juniper Hill. It's within walking distance to the beach and most restaurants. You can take the trolley to get to the Marginal Way and the Cove, rather than having to drive. Log onto www.oguinquit.com for more info about the Juniper and Oguinquit! Enjoy - Maine is incredible!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Shari

Imagine my surprise to see Juniper HIll Inn in Ogunquit on a message board. I have worked for the company for many years and If you like JHI on your next visit check put Gorges Grant Hotel which is also in Ogunquit and is owned by the same people. Ogunquit beach is great no matter where you decide to stay.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Nlm

Having lived in Maine all my life I don't recommend the Kennebunk area after Mem. Day- Rt 1 is just to crowded, the Ogunquit/ Wells area is great though, also a little more north to the Boothbay area is nice, lots of B&B to pick from. Try the state tourism web site. Have a great time.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Paula

The Maine Stay Inn is very nice and has great breakfasts. It is in the middle of town and you can walk everywhere.
We also like the Inn at Harbor Head which is just out of town and right on the water. It has 7 or 8 charming rooms, but is more expensive. Maine is wonderful.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Toni

The "Captain Lord Mansion" B&B is the very best and "The White Barn Inn" for dinner...you won't be disappointed.