Coastal New England on Five Days.

Aug 7th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Coastal New England on Five Days.

What would you do? I have only five days to fly into Boston drive up the coast and return to Chicago. Any help much appreciated.
Aug 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Just you? or kids? Budget? Time of year? Likes, dislikes? Are you a shopper or a hiker? come on, help us out here, strad! Any help much appreciated!
Aug 9th, 2007, 02:42 AM

Boston is fun. Portland Maine is fun. Portsmouth NH is very nice. I love Bar Harbor, but that a hike from Boston. The southern beachy areas of Maine are lovely. You could do a tour with a light house focus. Boothbay is very popular for partying and looking at expensive boats. Camden is a very sweet little town. When is your trip?
Aug 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM

We love Arcadia/Bar Harbor for food, scenary and hiking but it is about a 6 hour drive from Boston.
Aug 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Clark,
It's just my wife and me. Dates: Mon aug 27 until Sun sept 2. Love to photograph. Shopper. Love great scenery and food. (Who doesn't??) We will spend the first day in Boston. Am thinking coastline, maybe Bar Harbor. D
Aug 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM

Shopper? Then you might want to hit Freeport, ME, home of LL Bean and now many outlets. If you head north from there, we love the pottery at Edgecomb Potters. They have shops in Freeport and Boothbay Harbor, but their studio is the best - and discounted seconds!
Aug 10th, 2007, 01:59 AM

Remember Labor Day Weekend is horendous for traffc. We will be at our place in S. Maine and will not venture out into the traffic mess. It's walking along the ocean to the beach for us. I would travel as far north as you want to go early in the week, then head back south and stay put in one place. You may have a problem finding accommodations this late...not sure?!?!
Aug 10th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Although Bar Harbor area is beautiful given your time element maybe you should stay in the Rockland area. Chowhounders rave about some of the restaurants there (we go on a lobster shack budget). You've got great views from Owls Head light. Boothbay could be a day trip and you might also take the ferry out to Monhegan Island for the day. The Farnsworth Museum is Rockland is wonderful. It features Maine artists including all three Wyeths. You could visit Damariscotta area/Pemaquid Point lighthouse and of course, Camden. If you visit Boothbay, avoid Rt 1 Friday afternoon and evening. You'll have a combination of tourists and commuters trying to get over the narrow bridge in Wiscasset. Freeport and Kittery are definitely great outlet shopper destinations. You might do a few hours on your way up and then hit the other on the way back. Although Sunday in Kittery Rt 1 outlet area might be a big mistake. Consider Portsmouth NH for your last meal before returning to the airport. Great restaurant choices.
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I fear that at this late date, you will have to base where you stay on where you can find availablity. I started looking for a place to stay in Maine for mid-July in late March, and lots of places were already fully booked. Look in York, Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, Camden, and any other Maine town anyone here suggests. If your return flight time permits, spend the day of your flight in Portsmouth, NH.