Coast itinerary -- comments please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -- Am planning a long weekend to the Carmel/Big Sur area in late October and have read lots of your posts -- now would love your reactions to my itinerary -- and have a few questions too. We're looking for a nice combination of relaxing and exploring.

Day 1 --arrive in SF about noon. What's the best route to Carmel Valley in our convertible? Is case de Fruta on our way and worth a stop?

Day 2 -- We're staying at Quail Lodge so thought we'd take advantage of their facilities in the morning, then venture out into the valley for lunch and maybe a stop at a winery. Recommendations?

Dinner is at Cielo at 6 -- just in time for sunset -- the next day is the start of Daylight Savings Time

Day 2 -- Want to spend this day in the Carmel/Monterey area.

We're changing to Tickle Pink for the next two nights and I want to get there in time for sunset at 5:00. So how shall we spend our day? Here's my list of options-- what am I missing? what's best?
Aquarium
Point lobos (Cypress Cove and Seal Cove)
Lunch at Fandango or outside at Rocky Point or Phil's Fish Market north of Monterey
Take the walk from PG to Monterey.

I have several dinner options (would like something more casual these next this night and the next):
Bahama Billy's, Rio Grill, Monterey Fish House, or Christopher's

Is there a casual restaurant at the Highlands that you like? (Pacific's Edge seems too stuffy and besides, sunset comes too early to enjoy the view)

Day 3 -- This is our day to explore Big Sur. But first, a walk on Carmel beach to see my west coast dog friends playing in the surf. Thought we'd pick up lunch at Adrian's and drive to Pfeiffer Beach.
What hikes are recommended at Pfeiffer? Something not too easy and not too hard, please!
May visit Post Ranch Inn (just to see it) and go to Nepenthe (where I first fell in love with Big Sur, like millions of others) for a coffee or glass of wine.
Is this the best way to spend our time at Big Sur?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
SAB

Best route as in fastest, or best route as in scenic? As I have posted a number of times, my favorite route is 280 to 85 to 101 to 156 to 1, and I find this to be he fastest--usually takes me something like 2:15 hours to get to Carmel from SF, less from the airport. Others will recommend 101 to 156 to 1, yet others 101 to 17 to 1. Everyone has their reasons for their route.

Never stopped at casa de Frutta, so have no idea if it is worth a stop--the only place I ever stop is the outlet stores in Gilroy!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SAB -- I was thinking best route as in scenic, but now that I see just how quickly we can get to Carmel maybe we should just zip down there quick as we can and enjoy the destination rather than the journey.
What IS the best route, as in scenic?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM
SAB

Most people seem to think that taking 1 all the way is the most scenic because of being on the coast. I think 280 etc, is very pretty in parts--280 is quite scenic and 156 is fairly nice. So as not to be misleading I get to Carmel fairly fast because I'm used to the route, I'm not looking at the scenery, and I have a lead food. It may take you longer!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:57 PM

i think
SAB has given you the best route in every way!

Bahama Billy's is fun but it really reminds one of a chain (maybe it is?). Just kind of formulaic. Tasty but not very unique. Rio Grill is very good and reliable and a real California type of restaurant.

Pacific Edge is pretty stuffy. Very good, and quiet - which the others are not. But you would have to dress up and lace up, you know?

Marinus up at Bernardus Lodge (which is a place where you should at least go have a drink)is a bit less stuffy and very excellent - but no sunset views.

Your itinerary sounds good to me! Point Lobos is one of the best places on earth, if you have time.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Day 1: SFO Take 380 Daly City to 280 San Jose to 85 Gilroy to 101 S to 156 Castroville to 1 South. Got that?

Day 2: Have a late lunch at Quail. Doris Day does the same and you'll probably see her. Either that or go next door to Baja Cantina for a delicious Cal-Mex meal. You could then take a little drive to Chateau Julian just down the road to CV Village on the right. Then, go a little bit farther to the tasting houses of Talbott and Georis, on the left side, at the entrance to CV Village. All of these places are on CV Road.

If you want to go to Pt. Lobos and are staying at Tickle Pink, going to Fandango is quite a drive. California Market at Highland's Inn will give you a nice ocean view from their deck with a decent lunch. If you want to dine in Monterey for lunch, head to Stokes on Hartnell, near downtown. It's CA-Med and the best kitchen in town.

Dinner - Christopher's hands down. The others you listed cant'even compare in any way.

Your plan for Big Sur sounds good.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:47 PM
SAB

Bahama Billy's is not a chain, locally owned. Fun place and very popular, the also own the Bixby Martini Bistro recently recommended to me on this board, but I haven't tried it yet.

My favorite wine from the Carmel Valley are Talbott's chardonneys, they have a tasting room in Carmel Valley Village. Chateau Julien has

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 08:49 PM
SAB

Oops--Chateau Julien has a lovely tasting room.

Hey Tess, great minds, huh!!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:17 PM

If you're going to Monterey, you absolutely have to go to The Fish Hopper (i think that's the name.) It's on the embarcadero strip with the aquarium. THe sign has a fish skeleton on it. BEST CLAM CHOWDER in California I swear!! I live in cali, so believe me I know. You can go inside and eat, or just get a clam chowder bread bowl outside. Don't miss it!!!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM

We were in Monterey/PG this past Sat. We stopped at the Giant Artichoke and picked up some really yummy Fried Artichoke Hearts. They have a great produce stand here, also. I have a review with photos posted on the Tripadvisor Forum.

We also like Wickets at the Bernardus, dine out on the back patio. It is casual and they do a really nice Shrimp/Mango/Avacado salad here with great Creme Brulee.

Haven't been to Marinus, but we really enjoyed our meal at Pacific's Edge in December. The food, ambiance, etc. is really amazing here. Bouchee is also very good in Carmel.

We wanted to try Stokes for lunch, but they are closed on Sat. We dined at the Duck Club at the Monterey Plaza Hotel for dinner, it was very, very nice.

Across from the Plaza is a very nice wine tasting room, Silver Mountain. You can have 5 tastes for $5 which is a good deal. We loved the 2001 Chardonnay and purchased a bottle of this. Your tasting fee will be waived with a purchase of any bottle of wine here.

The Sardine Factory is also good as is Tarpey's Roadhouse in Monterey. We had lunch on the wharf at the Tene Shake place, Isabella's. We have been enjoying his Coastal Cuisine show. coastalcuisinedotcom is the website. ***kim***
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Just a little pooper scooper moment Stokes is closed for lunch on Saturdays but is not closed for dinner on Saturdays: http://www.stokesrestaurant.com/Contact/Contact.htm

SAB - like minds. 8-) Talbotts are friends of ours...got to love the Diamond T and Sleepy Hollow.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM
SAB

Hey Tess--I like all of Sam Balderas' wines- Talbott, River Ranch and Samatha Starr. Can't wait to get to Rancho Cellars in a couple of weeks and pick up some RIver Ranch
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 11:02 AM

SAB - have you ever dined at the China Gourmet in Carmel? Are you a fan of Chinese food? The restaurant is still there, on 5th but it was purchased a few years ago by a family that doesn't know what they're doing. The original owners recently opened a restaurant in downtown Monterey called Full Moon. Same menu and cooking as their former restaurant in Carmel. The restaurant is beautiful and it "felt like home" eating their delicious cuisine last night.
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 11:05 AM

If any of you dine at Bahama Billy's or Bixby's between now and Dec., please mention that you'd like to participate in Carmel High's sober grad night program. What this means is, it won't cost you any more but the two restaurants will donate 10% of the gross cost of your meal to the kids. See why we like Billy so much? Thanks.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:49 AM
SAB

Thanks you the heads up Tess.

Chicago- hope you have a great time in Carmel/Big Sur--October can be a great time of year there. Often great weather and always less crowded. Although the Acquarium is great, I would skip it on a long weekend in favor of exploring the ares UNLESS the weather is not good. There is so much beauty to see outside that whenever we take friends to Carmel, we usually save the Acqaurium for bad weather days--in the past five years I haven't been once--we have been very lucky weatherwise. BTW one of my favorite things to do at Point Lobos is to go down to Gibson Beach--assuming the stairs are intact. There usually are no other persons on it and it is a lovely spot.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 01:42 PM

SAB- Did you know that we have a Great White at the aquarium? It's so incredible to see and if you've never seen one...you must go! It's located at the Outer Bay.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks TTess. We may get to BB's in that time frame. I've been wanting to get to Bixby's also.
Comment on it being like a chain. I'm here in "chain city" (San Jose), and BB's does not remind me of a chain. IMO.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM
SAB

Hi Tess, yes I know about the new shark (versus the one they had before)--if its still there at the end of January when I usually a number of weekends in Carmel, I will certainly consider going. The recommendation to skip the Acquarium is just based on personal perference--given a choice between taking someone to Point Lobos on a gorgeous fall day and the Acquarium, I always choose Point Lobos. Actually the "we will go to the Acquarium if the weather is not nice" has become somewhat of a good weather mantra--it may mean that we don't get to the Acquarium, but I'll take that in return for good weather.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 02:51 PM

I like Los Laureles Lodge in Carmel Valley. More down to earth and budget frienly than other options in the area.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:11 PM

Forgot to mention to the poster - Casa De Fruita is WAY out of the way and certainly not worth going out of the way for - just a touristy stop to go potty and get some snacks for the road. It's nice, don't get me wrong but not worth driving out of the way for. If you look at a map you'll see how crazy that idea is.