Cliff House San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is all of it closed for renovations? We will be in SF last week of May. Missed that whole area/side of SF our first trip out.

If so is it worth going out to the area/seal rock if it is closed? Not looking for a meal, perhaps a drink and soak in the scenery.

Any other suggestions for that area? Thanks for the help.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:30 PM

There's the Seal Rock Inn and Restaurant that sits on a/the hill above Cliff House and the ruins of the old Sutro Baths. Never been there, but their web site indicates that there's ocean-view dining and rooms with ocean views. Also, I believe it's Ocean Beach that's south of Cliff House--kinda wild and wonderful.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:29 PM

The actual restaurant is open--everything else is closed and still being worked on.

I would stay it is worth going out there to check out the ocean--it is beautiful!! (Just in case you don't know: Seal Rock no longer has any seals. They migrated down to Fisherman's Wharf where the feeding is more accessible).
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:33 AM

The view is absolutely beautiful. It is worth the time. We did not eat at the Cliff House, but jwe did walk up the hill from the Cliff House to catch a bus and happened upon a little mom and pop cafe. I am so sorry, I can't remember the name of it. Perhaps someone more familiar with San Francisco can help. It was very, very good plate lunches and hamburgers. The view was beautiful from the large windows and we had a great time there! I'm glad that we stopped.... Vacationmom
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Vacationmom, are you referring to Louie's?
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:36 AM

KathrynT... Hi, just now saw you post... That might be the name of it. It was a great little place just half way up the hill from the Cliff House. We were starved and just decided to pop in since we did not want to wait until we got back in town. The food was very good and the view was incredible. Have you eaten there? Vacationmom
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Even if everything is closed, go there for the views. You can get down to the caves if you're travelling with children. If not, just walk along the ocean to the windmills of Golden Gate park.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Vacationmom, yes I've been there many times. Louie's has been there many years and is run by a great family. Glad you enjoyed it, too!
Old May 14th, 2004, 11:59 AM

As of May 3, the whole cliff house closed for renovation and will reopen in August. Louie's closes early, I think at 4pm week days and 6pm on week-ends. The seal rock/ Ocean Beach area is great! You should at least check out the scenery. There is a wonderful neighborhood fish restaurant at 34th and Geary called the Pacific Cafe- no view, but free wine while you wait (always a wait on week-ends), good food at reasonable prices. There is also the Beach Chalet down the hill from the Cliff House on the Great Highway at the edge of GG Park. They serve cocktails and food (not great) but the view is nice.