Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clearwater, Sarasota or St. Petersburg, which is nicest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:10 PM
Unn

Which of these cities is the best for:
1) Pretty beaches without too many crowds
2) Good restaurants
3) No traffic jams
4) Reasonable hotel rates (about $150.-175.)

This would be for a few nights at the end of February. After lots of searching on this site, it looks like Sanibel Is. is what we're looking for, but it's out of our price range. Now we're thinking about the above 3 cities. I have NO idea on which would be good for us. We're not interested in nightlife or clubs, a great pub would be nice though.

Thank you anyone who's able to help me out with this.

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd look at Anna Marie Island (between Sarasota and St. Pete) for what you are describing, especially the price and the lack of traffic jams. Not a lot of excitement there, but meets your other requirements.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:16 PM

We visited Sarasota in mid-March last year. We liked it EXCEPT for the traffic. Beach density varied, but there was always traffic.

Driving through Bradenton, that town seemed much quieter. Concurring with the other poster, we'll probably try there next time.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:43 AM

I would say Sarasota is the best of all of these in all aspects you speak of. specifically siesta key and longboat key. while the mainland sarasota area has traffic the sarasota keys have somewhat less, the sarasota (siesta key in particular) beaches are the best of the list. St. pete is probably 2nd on the list. Clearwater has the most traffic, most crowds, beach is nice but very crowded.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:06 AM
OliveOyl

Clearwater has the prettiest beach, IMHO. It does have more people, but it is also the widest of all so has more room for the people, and has the most beautiful sand. Restaurants...ugh! Traffic, with the demolition of that big booboo...the traffic rotary/fountain, will improve, but is still very bad.

St. Pete beaches aren't quite as broad or white, but still beautiful and the traffic is much improved. Restaurants...sigh. Hotel rates are comparable for SPB and CWB.

Sarasota is more expenisive, (Anna Maria that Patrick mentioned would be less so, and there is at least one excellent restaurant there), beaches are nice, and the area is more upscale. There's a nice selection of restaurants scattered from Anna Maria down to St Armand's Circle, then more in downtown Sarasota. Traffic around the St Armands area though can be unbelievable!

Everything taken into consideration, my vote would go to Sarasota too.

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 07:26 AM

You're talking Florida. All of the beaches are beautiful and they are all crowded. I live in Clearwater and I would say your best bet is to stay in St. Petersburg. You would be in between Sarasota and Clearwater... Near Tampa. Sarasota is just so far from everthing. Also, St. Pete area would be the cheapest to stay...
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:21 AM

My fiance and I are headed to the Clearwater area for our honeymoon. We have reservations at the Hilton Clearwater. But with what was said here, would a place further south, like the Sheraton Sand Key Resort be a better idea? We would like the beach not to be mobbed, but also we would like activities and a reasonable drive to resturants.

Any comments?
Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:04 AM

Vavalynn-

I loved Clearwater beach when I was 18 and in college, that is the beach that the college aged crowd generally frequents, and it can get mobbed especially on weekends, but it is a very nice beach. I like Sarasota (siesta/longboat keys) because I consider them to be nicer beaches and the area is a little more upscale and a little less crowded (on the keys, not Sarasota itself). I would say sarasota is an older crowd than clearwater, make your decision based on your preferences.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think we will give the Sheraton a try.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:46 PM

We like both Sarasota & St.Pete, but St. Pete Beach is our favorite. The Beach at the Don Cesar is wonderful but the hotel is pricey this time of year. Sometimes you can find a good package at Luxury Link.com Have fun wherever you go!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 12:45 PM
emd

Vava; I like the Sheraton Sand Key better than the hotels in Clearwater proper. It is over that little bridge and the beach is only used by hotel guests. The pool is right out on the beach. There are a few decent dinner places right there also (Radisson is a little further down) so you have a few options instead of going into Clearwater, although dinner and evening traffic are not as bad as day traffic.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Unn -

Another vote for Sarasota. Clearwater is definitely the most crowded of your three choices.

Vavlynn-

The Sheraton would be a great spot for what you are looking for. There is a bagpiper at the park next door sometimes as well on the weekends - a pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:59 AM

I just called and made reservations at the sheraton. I had a voucher from US Airways (from cashing in on frequent flier miles) and was able to get an ocean view room for only 135 a night!! It turns out to be the same price as the hilton is, and the sheraton sounds like a much better choice.

Thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:48 AM
lib

Sarasota, hands down. You have some traffic congestion, but it's not big-city traffic like in St. Pete or Clearwater. Beaches are beautiful, especially on Siesta Key; there are many great restaurants, and other attractions besides the beach, such as Selby Gardens, Ringling Museum, St. Armand's Circle, etc. It can be pricier, but the best bet is to rent a condo or house from owner, from sites like: http://www.vrbo.com or http://www.cyberrentals.com We have a second home in Sarasota which we rent when available (not available until May), but I've put links to Sarasota attractions and info. on my site: http://www.geocities.com/libcarr

Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:28 PM

We spent a week in Oct 02 at St. Pete Beach. It was great. As we were vacation planning we kept going back and forth between St. Pete and Clearwater. I am glad we went with St. Pete. We did drive up to CW and in October it was not a high tourist time. I cannot imagine what it must be like at peak time. We rented a convertible mustang..the weather was just fine. It didn't rain all week qne 85+ sun. We did the usual tourist sites; Madeira Beach, rented jent skis, etc. We had planned to go to Busch Gardens but were enjoying the beach too much. If you want hotel recommendations on St. Pete Beach post a message and I will share info. I would return to St.Pete in the future.