Reload this Page >

Clearwater Beach for Memorial Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 06:46 PM
Phil

I am doing a 3 day weekend on Clearwater Beach at the Radisson Suites....good choice? Does anyone have suggestions re: restaurants, fun things to do and see (remember it's a holiday weekend)? I'll have a rental car.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 05:12 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I'm not familiar with the Radisson Suites. Just check with them to make sure that they are on the wide, sandy part of the beach. Some hotels have no beachfront.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 06:42 AM
Mary

The Radisson Suite Hotel in on the Intercoastal Waterway. You have to cross Gulf Blvd. to access the beach. However, the resort is beautiful (pool, fountains, bar, etc.). As far as restaurants go, my favorite is Guppy's (Indian Rocks Beach) and Moca Bay, also in IRB. Both are casual, Florida seafood restaurants, and both offer outside dining. For a big treat go the the Wine Cellar or the Lobster Pot (both on Redington Beach). Have fun.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 07:04 AM
susan

Do you mean the Sand Key Radisson? As the previous poster noted, if you want a hotel with a good beach, this is not the place for you. However, my husband and I have stayed there 3 times and would gladly stay there again rather than getting involved in the crowded Clearwater Beach area, which is crammed with people and shops (mostly tacky, I might add). The only other hotel I'd recommend, and I have not stayed there, is the Clearwater Beach Hotel, which I understand is charming. Back to the Radisson. It's in Sand Key, which is just over a bridge from Clearwater Beach. It has a great pool area, a nice restaurant and the rooms are laid out like Embassy Suite rooms...living rooms with tv, microwave, couch, chair, etc, and separate bedroom with a second tv. They have nice balconies that overlook the bay. There's a great beach almost directly across from the hotel that is probably a 2 minute drive...As for restaurants, I can recommend Bob Heilman's Beachcomber...better get reservations. Good luck! Oh, one more thing...there's a Columbia Restaurant within a stone's throw from the Radisson. Do NOT eat there!!! The Columbia in Ybor City is famous, but this offshoot is absolutely horrible (unless they've been miraculously improved)

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 08:12 AM
Phil

Thanks...it is the Sand Key Radisson Suites. They spoke as though it was a very short distance to the beach. I hope that is not a drawback. I had read that the Lobster Pot was expensive but very good. Any suggestions for things to do over the Memorial Day weekend?

Old May 3rd, 1999, 10:02 AM
lisa

Hi - having in-laws who have a place in Tarpon Springs (north of Clearwater), we do not stay at hotels but I can give you some advice on dining. Try Tio Pepe's on Gulf-to-Bay for a memorable evening. They serve authentic Spanish cuisine (not Mexican) and their home-made Sangria is a must! Also, on Gulf-to Bay is the original Hooter's for fun and best wings in town. And don't limit yourself to just Clearwater either...drive up north a little to Dunedin (try C.C. Rider's)and Tarpon Springs. In Tarpon there are many Greek restaurants and be sure to see the sponge-divers. Also, if you can find it..there is a little old-time Florida restaurant called Molly Goodhead's in Ozona. Have fun...we're going again in August and I can't wait.

Old May 4th, 1999, 01:47 AM
Larry

Where ever you eat, be sure to try a fried grouper sandwich! Check out this local site: http://www.sptimes.com/

Old May 4th, 1999, 08:04 AM
John

Sand Key has just finished a beach reclaimation that restored a nice beach and the Radsion now has a beach which is nice.

Old May 14th, 1999, 11:48 AM
denise

I live in clearwater now for over 20 years and as far as what to do over the holiday, check out the local freebie paper, the weekly planet, also, the weekender section of the st. pete times and the tampa tribune. The beaches get very crowded over the holiday and it could be hard to get around by car on the beach. There is good fishing from the bridge next to the hotel and a nice beach across the street from you. For great seafood, try Keegan's on Indian Rocks beach, very small but very fresh and reasonable. Also a step up, try salt rock grill, down about 7 miles on gulf blvd on Redington beach. For an authentic beach bar, try Mahuffer's, a small dive on gulf blvd. going towards Redington beach. If you're looking for night life, Ybor City in Tampa has bars, restaurants, etc. For live music in clearwater, Club More, in downtown and they might have something going on at Coachman Park, Downtown, before you go over to clearwater beach. You might be able to catch a Devil Rays game, St. Pete's pro baseball team. Hope this helps you out, if you need more specific info, send me an e-mail. Have a great time.

Old May 14th, 1999, 03:32 PM
Lisa

Spent 4 days in CWB in February. Great place. You absolutely must go to FRENCHYS ON THE BEACH and get the 'she-crab' soup. GREATTTT!!! Great frozen drinks as well, but be prepared to wait or go at an 'off' hour. We ate there 2x in 4 days. We also went to Tarpon Springs and had some really good Greek food. Can't wait to go back next winter!

Old May 20th, 1999, 10:42 AM
joe cameron

Just a suggestion, as a very long-time visitoro to the area (where I now own a home). AVOID The Lobster Pot like the plague - over-priced (very), snooty and poor food. AVOID IT AT ALL COST. But do try Salt Rock Grill at Indian Shores (get a researvation). Avoid stuffy, formal places (this is not NYC or DC, it's a Fla. beach area where tourists come to eat). Avoid most chains, such as Hooters and Crabby Bills and Shells, which are all just too poor for words. Ignore any suggestions in the Fodor's Guides. Zagat's is not very reliable down there either. The Leverocks places are decent, but Captains Galley is terrible. If you are down in Treasure Island, try the Floridian on 107 Avenue (one block off Gulf Blvd. for lunch - great Cuban sandwiches). By the way, one time we had a decent dinner at the Clearwater Hotel, but don't know what the curent situation is. If you have questions, send me an e-mail.

Old May 22nd, 1999, 05:17 AM
Sophia

Hi Phil, Ditto Lisa's response. If you DO like Greek food and an experience not unlike a trip to the Greek Islands, make the trip to Tarpon Springs. Mykonos is great; it's where the Greek-Americans themselves go. Also Deno's, 610 Athens Street has live music and dancing on Fri, and Sat. Belly Dancing show at Zorba's, a few doors past Deno's.

What particular interests do you have. I'm a 24 year resident of Clearwater, and might be able to suggest more specific attractions if I knew what your hobbies and interests were. Muesums. Nature. People. Sports. Technology. There usually is a Memorial Day concert in Coachman Park, complete with fireworks. PS: In 3 days, I think you'll have just enough time to whet your appetite for more. Clearwater is a great place.

Old May 22nd, 1999, 05:21 AM
sophia

Phil, I forgot something. If you like Grouper sandwiches, the BEST to be had is at Frenchy's. Also, the Rock-Away Grill and Palm Pavillion on Clearwarer Beach, located near the watertower, have live music almost every night, and certainly on the week-ends. Have a great time in CLEARWATER!!!

Sophia