Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clean, modern,economical lodging in Bath to Freeport area?

Aug 19th, 2010, 05:22 PM
plr
Original Poster

Last Question (I think!)-- hope I'm not missing something, but Idyll Motel just doesn't seem happy to me. Welcome arguments! And I am still looking for really clean, non-smoking, no-pets accommodations in this area for a couple of weekend nights in mid-Sept. You folks are great. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Aug 19th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Freeport has a Hampton Inn and a new Holiday Inn Express. Don't know if you are looking at chains. Freeport also has Harraseeket Inn which is much more upscale. Try tripadvisor.com for reviews in the area.
Aug 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM

Mid sept you probably don't really need reservations, you could have a look-see first. However, you could maybe book that Holiday Inn Express which probably has a lenient cancellation policy? It's right between Bath and Freeport.

I have no idea why you'd choose that area to stay however, is this for shopping in Freeport? Mid Sept brings low rates right by the water for the most part, take advantage of it and stay somewhere "downeast". What's you're budget per night?
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Joe, I've been posting questions for a month or so here, and have nailed lodgings on MDI and Rockport for 4 nights each. I'm leaving a couple of nights open, and just wanted to find a few economical (~$100/night) choices to end my trip in the Freeport area just before having to drive back up to Bangor airport to leave. Shopping is not a real interest in the Freeport area...probably will spend a day in Bath, Boothbay...leaving it open.
Aug 20th, 2010, 06:34 PM

The northeast is full of non-chain, older but very charming and well kept motels. In mid July, there were availabilities everywhere. We had no reservations and never had a problem. It was nice being able to see these places first.
Aug 21st, 2010, 01:39 PM

STaying between Bath and Freeport will be a big letdown after MDI and Rockport
Aug 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
plr
Original Poster

Wow, Joe, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. So should I stay at Ocean Point in East Boothbay and just sit on "the porch"?
Aug 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM

Well, do you consider yourself a "sit on the porch and watch the boats go by" type of person? If so, Boothbay is a great choice, the only caveat is that I think after Bar Harbor and Rockport you'll find it to be pretty much "more of the same". Which would be fine for me because I do love meandering, finding new casual restaurants and brewpubs, maybe kayaking and light hikes. Lots of good lodging choices near Boothbay, too. What do you think you'll be looking for those last couple of nights, just relaxation? Or will you be hiking, biking, looking for a beach to swim and sunbathe? Craving just one more lobster shack or hunting for fine dining? Maine has some great peaceful lakeside spots too, but nothing really "modern" like you are seeking, more cabins and cottages.
Bath is/was a shipbuilding community and not really considered a tourist destination other than being right on Route 1. Lodging choices are more along the "oceanside estate" type rentals large and small. Freeport is the famous huge L.L. Bean shop and outlet shopping up the ying yang. Some good but touristy dining and lodging.

If you've decided that Bar Harbor and Rockport are what you're looking for, and you think you'd be interested in more of the same (yet different)...I'd look at Boothbay and Damariscotta. Those are two places I would not mind spending the last 48 hours of a leisurely seaside vacation.
Aug 21st, 2010, 04:33 PM

Maine Idyll Motel? NO NO NO NO!!!!! Never! Do NOT go there!

We made that mistake a couple of years ago and hated it! It smelled of smoke and mildew, the room was all windows (no privacy), etc. Yuck!

NO NO NO.....
Aug 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
plr
Original Poster

RetiredVTr and Joe, I thank you for your very clear and helpful responses!Despite the puzzling number of accolades for the the Idyll Motel on TripAdvisor, I had that sense of smoke and mildew, whether that was fair or not.

Joe, I have no idea what I will be in the mood for during those last couple of days. Probably will not be looking for shopping, and not for fine dining, nor just sitting! Gotta see things, even if low-key. I'll have already done whale watch, nature/lobster boat, schooner, and harbor trips...so probably will not be especially looking for a kayak trip unless someone says there is one I should not miss!!

I also prefer newer places to stay--budget priced, clean, non-smoking, no pets, and not the B&B variety. I don't need to be charmed while I'm sleeping!
Aug 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM

I don't see anything wrong with staying near Bath. I think there's enough to do there for a couple of days without getting too bored. The Bath Maritime museum is really pretty interesting, you can drive to Wiscasset or Boothbay Harbor if you feel a need to be touristy, and day trips to other places like Pemaquid Point or Popham Beach.

Unfortunately, I can't help with lodging suggestions, since we either stay with relatives or in a weekly cottage rental.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks, GoAway & Joe. I'm not finding much for my preferred type of lodging in Bath, so may need to look toward Boothbay, or as Joe is suggesting, Damariscotta. Any other suggestions for lodgings?
Aug 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM

Brunswick is a college town just south of Bath. You might try looking there. It would still be a good base to explore penisulas and visit places like Harpswell (close but very rural, some good restaurants on the water like Dolphin Marina). If it's Friday, Brunswick also has a great farmers market plus some food trucks around the common.
Can't help with lodging either, we usually camp in Wiscasset. One year we did a great lighthouse cruise with the Maritime Museum in Bath.
Aug 24th, 2010, 04:41 PM
plr
Original Poster

divineMiss, thanks so much for the links. Got excited about Cap'n Fish's Waterfront hotel, but no non-smoking rooms left for mid Sept when I need them......This is what makes me nervous about "winging it." Seagate is a possibility. What about that massive site at OceanPoint? Any first-hand knowledge?

Dfrostnh, thanks for the reinforcement that Bath is a good base for meandering. Not much comes up for lodging there, so would still like to hear any suggestions for my criteria.
Aug 29th, 2010, 03:26 PM
plr
Original Poster

Rooms now available at Cap'n Fish's Boothbay waterfront Hotel. Has anyone stayed there who can give a report on their quality?