Reload this Page >

Clean, inexpensive family hotel close to everything

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Jennifer

We are considering an October 2001 vacation to DC. Would like to stay within walking distance of most everything. Any recommendations? Has anyone ever stayed at/heard of the Swiss Inn on Massachusetts Ave? We have two boys, 7 and 11 yrs old.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Ellen

Hi, I don't think there is any way you could be within walking distance of most everything in DC--the city is pretty sprawling. Even something like the Smithsonian is spread out over about 10 huge buildings. The walk from one end to the other is quite a distance. However, you are in luck because the Metro system in DC is terrific. Clean, safe, cool looking, and has stops at all the major sites. The train routes are very easy to follow and you should have no problem getting around with the boys. In fact, they will probably love the trains. Just look on a DC map and pick a hotel near a metro stop by the Smithsonian area. That should do it.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Christina

I don't know anything about the quality of the Swiss Inn, but the location is pretty terrible and I would not ever stay in that neighborhood; it's in a fairly high crime and generally unpleasant area (drug addicts and dealers, guys who hang around gas stations and other places waiting for people to stop, etc) and not even near a metro stop (it's about 12th and L Streets NW). That is a pretty bad part of the city, do not stay there. The nearest metro stop is blocks away from there, also, in addition to the bad neighborhood, and it's not very close to any tourist attraction you could walk to. You really should stay near a metro stop and perhaps get a map of DC so you can see where hotels are in relation to the museums, etc, and metro stops. It may not be glamorous, but I think one of the best hotels for families is the Holiday Inn Capitol Hill on NJ Avenue, kids are free (there is also the HOliday Inn Capitol South or something near the Air and Space Museum that is very convenient, also, but I've read the one on NJ Ave is better). YOu will be within walking distance of museums and Union Station, but that's about it--you could walk to the monuments, I suppose but it is very far. You'll have to use the metro, I think, but it's really very simple and safe and given no language differences, I would not worry about it (I could understand if you were intimidated in a foreign country about using public transportation). If you use it outside of rush hours, it will be very easy. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get to the monuments and no metro stop over that way. YOu might look into that tourist Tourmobile thing for that.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:40 PM
L

definitely the Holiday Inn at capitol south - one block from Air and Space, and across the street from Metro (yellow, organge, blue and green lines). Gives you access to the Mall and Capitol Hill. Used the many tourists - down the street from my office. Good place - clean - many families.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Jennifer

Thanks for the info. I figured the Swiss Inn was too good to be true. I keep checking web sites for hotel rates and it seems they change daily. If we will be arriving in October how soon or how late should we book our rooms? I've been especially interested in the Sheraton Four Points, and the Hilton Garden Inn. I also saw something indicating a new Days Inn Central but can't find it on the Days web site. Any ideas about these places?

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Christina

Jennifer, the Sheraton Four Points is only about a block from the Swiss Inn
(it's at 12th and K Sts NW). As I said, that is a bad part of town and not
near a metro stop and I really would not recommend you stay around there. I
think the Hilton Garden Inn would be fine, it's near Franklin Sq Park which
is okay in daytime (well, there are some homeless people around there, espec in that park, I do not feel it is dangerous in the daytime, there are lots of people in that neighborhood for work, and I have walked around there (not thru the park) at nighttime to the metro--it's not the worst place in DC, not nearly as bad as over near Mt Vernon Sq and those hotels you've been asking about, but not the best, either) and close to the White House and within
walking distance of some things, but I really would take the metro to the
Smithsonian from there. There is a Days Inn around 16th and M Sts NW, I
think, that would be an okay location, it's not quite as close to a metro
stop as the Hilton, but not too far; it would be farther to walk to most
things from there--despite what I said about Franklin Park, unless you have
never been in a large city like this and that would really bother you (bums
in parks and panhandlers, etc), I would prefer the Garden Inn location. That
Sheraton Four Points used to be a Days Inn, so maybe that's the one you've
seen called Days Inn Central, I don't know. I have not stayed in a hotel in
DC in years as I live here now, but October is absolutely my favorite month
of the year here. The tourist hordes from summer will have died down, but
it's still a pretty popular month for visitors and of course, business and
govt are back in full swing--so, it's pretty busy and I would make reservations as soon as I knew my dates and hotel that I wanted. For most hotels, you do not have to pay anything if you cancel well ahead of time, so
I would book by early summer, probably. I don't really know, but I wouldn't wait until the end of summer, that's for sure. Where are you looking for hotels, anyway, that you have come up with these? One site I like that I think is supposed to have good rates, not sure about that, but has great info is www.dcaccommodations.com. For example, you can search on there for "families" and it lists good choices for that, and it has interactive maps to show you where hotels are. Some hotels in that list you might consider are the Washington Courtyard Marriott (just above Dupont Circle), the Best Western Hampshire Suites or St James Suites near Foggy Bottom, the Capitol Hill Suites near the Capitol building and Library of Congress, or the HIlton Garden Inn is on there and quite a few decent others. Frankly there are really not very many hotels where you can walk to everything--none, really, but to walk to the museums about the only ones are the two Holiday Inns I mentioned, L'Enfant Plaza (which is expensive usually and it's farther away from everything else), the ones around McPherson Sq like the Hilton, and then a few around Metro Center. There are some other ones, but I don't think exactly what you are looking for (ie, Phoenix Hotel near Union Stn). YOu are probably going to have to take the metro from the others. Even Capitol Hill Suites is prob farther than you want to walk to the museums, although you could.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Ellen

Loew's L'Enfant--I stayed there. didn't remember the name in my first post. Great hotel. You didn't even have to go outside to get to the Metro--right down into the lower level,through a little mall, & there you are. You could also get to Ronald Reagan Airport from there-just 2 stops on the Metro. Smithsonian was 2 stops as well. I'd consider it if the rates are reasonable.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:43 PM
cindy

My 10 year old son and I spent a week in DC last summer - just the 2 of us. We stayed at the Days Inn at Crystal City. It was only about a 7-10 min. metro ride to the Mall. He had a great time on the Metro. We also took a tour bus to Mt. Vernon to see G. Washington home. It was great.. If you go , splurge and get the audio tour that goes along with the sights. Don't forget to go up the tower at the Old Post Office. It's one of the best views of Washington.