Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clarion Hotel San Francisco Airport a dive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:35 AM
Frank

It has a rate that is about 2/3 less than other 4 star hotels at the airport. Wondering why?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:35 AM
ttt

anyone?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:40 AM
Spoilsport

Hope you spent those 2 hours between posts researching this site for the hotel review. Nah... I imagine you're impatient for an answer from people you don't know to do your homework for you. Otherwise I say it is a perfect place to stay. Of course, you have no idea who I am and what my tases are or if I ever really spent the night there...

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:55 AM
Frank

I looked at the fodors comments but there were no ravs and rants,hotel website,couple of websites that served as a vendor for this hotel. I imagine you are cynical and kind of unhappy in general. Obsessive about travel details would have been a better guess of who I was. Having said that I too become annoyed with hotel inquiries on this forum. Still I am in need of answers here ever been to Embassy Suites? Thanks for your response.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
Nina

The Embassy Suites are very nice. Two large rooms, like a living room and a bedroom, with microwave and refrigerator. Great for two couples or kids. They serve a free breakfast in the lobby, waffles, eggs, etc, made to order. The parking is free. I think there are two near the airport and I know that one of them for sure has no airport shuttle.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
Frank

Thanks Nina the one I was looking at is a Mission style complex with waterfalls and parots, clear veiws of the bay and airport take offs. Does this remind you of the place you stayed. So surprised at the high prices we paid $90 last year for a Marriot inside Newark Airport. Not really looking for luxary on an over nighter but if it is special for a kid I think I might splurge.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:12 AM
Joanne

Frank: We haven't stayed at the Clarion for about 4-5 years, so obviously things could have changed. We were there overnight prior to a trip to Greece and left our car there for the duration of our trip. It was nothing special, but was great for our purposes because it is the closest to the airport hotel that does a stay/park type thing. I don't think it took the shuttle more than 5-10 minutes to get us to our airline. When you have an early morning flight this is very comforting. Also, our car was fine when we returned. Assume they have some sort of guard checking left cars periodically.

I don't know what your purpose for staying there is, but if it is overnight to be near the airport I think it would be fine, unless it has gone downhill since we stayed there. If it is to stay for the duration of a trip to the SF area, I wouldn't stay there as it is too far from SF, etc.

Hope this helps.

j

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:32 AM
Frank

Thanks Joanne that is exactly our purpose a connecting flight to Kauai. But part of my group may decide to come earlier and see San Francisco. It is good to have an alternative budget hotel in the event that we decide against the pricer embassey.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
SJK

I stayed at the Comfort Inn San Francisco airport (the one in Millbrae) and I was pleasantly surprised. It was better than expected for a $60 night.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
Xx

The Westin is next door to the Clarion and is MUCH nicer. May be more expensive, though.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 09:54 AM
Frank

xx why do you like the Westin so much?

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
xx

Westin has nice rooms, great staff and generally more amenities. The Clarion is not bad but it's 2-star, I'd say, vs. the 3.5 star of the Westin.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:49 PM

topping

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:54 PM
shecky

not worth topping