Clam Shacks in New England (MA, NH, ME)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a camping trip from NJ to Acadia National Park with our 2 dogs. We'd like to try a clam shack or 2 to eat outdoors. Any recommendation for a good place to stop along the way, in MA, NH, or ME? Thanks.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Petey's in Rye NH but it's very popular with indoor seating and I think an upstairs deck. No shade so your dogs would not be happy in the car. The Ice House on Rt 1B in Newcastle (I think - it's between Portsmouth and the Wentworth Hotel, beautiful ride even if you don't stop for clams. Inside dining but also outside order window and picnic tables plus tall pines.

We usually go to lobster shacks which usually don't have fried foods but there's a food truck in Bath ME near Meadow River or New Meadows that serves a varied menu. Bright sun so you might want to take your take-out to a shadier location.

Mike's Clam Shack on Rt 1 in Wells is really an indoor family restaurant but they have really good clams. You might pick a good nearby rest area or park for the dogs and do take-out.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 07:37 AM

Here's a list of 40 recommended New England clam shacks that was published recently in the Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/travel/new-eng...Q9N/story.html
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM

Clam Box, Ipswich, MA
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What route are you taking? Or, how far do you want to detour off the main drag?
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 10:17 AM

Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, ME is really good, and so is the Clam Box in Ipswich, MA.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM

If you're talking about fried clams and fisherman platters, the clam shacks are only as good as the freshness of the seafood, the training of the staff at the fryerlator, and the quality of the oil. Even the best places suffer the occasional quality control, and summer staffing issues, so I suggest order small, share a plate, because a little fried seafood,fries and onion rings go a long way. If it's done right, you can always order more!

Also keep your eyes out for lobster pricing. Grocers and fishmarkets will often steam lobsters and steamers at retail, so when lobster is $7.99 it is quite a bargain to make your own picnic at your campsite. We have beach house rights in Wells and often order up a dozen lobsters and alb of steamers at Mike's clamshack and watch the sunset on the deck overlooking the marsh.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 11:01 AM

that would be Mike's Fishmarket at Mikes Clamshack. Hannafords grocer also steams for free.