Reload this Page >

circle line harbor lights tour question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:32 PM
jana

I'm thinking of taking the Circle Line Harbor lights tour, which according to their web site, leaves at 6pm for a two hour tour from Pier 83 on 42nd st. I have several questions. One, where does it go - all around Manhattan, up and down the river, etc? Is it a worth while tour (I know that will be just opinions, but I'd like to hear what others think of it). But my other question is this - since the closest subway is at 8th and 42nd, how is the walk over there? What is that neighborhood like, especially for the return which will be around 8pm. I know that used to be a not so nice area but I heard it's been cleaned up. What do you think? Thanks.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:48 PM
olivia

The trip goes down towards the Statue of Liberty and then around the tip of Manhattan and up the eastside, under all the bidges. If it is a clear night, the trip is beautiful.

The neighborhood has greatly improved but if you are worried about safety, the 50th Street crosstown bus stop is directly in front of the Circle Line dock. Take that to 7th or 8th Ave. to get to the subway.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Donna

The tour is timed so that you leave in daylight, enjoy sunset, dusk, twilight,and return after the lights have been turned on all over - positively magical! It goes really close by the Statue of Liberty, glorious at night. You'll cruise from the dock down the western side of the island, and as far north on the eastern side to just past the Chrysler Building. You pass under many spectacular bridges. The commentary is interesting and amusing.

From 8th & 42nd, it's four block walk. Upon returning, you can walk back to the subway (feeling safe) or hop any of two or three buses (you'd need quarters, $1.50). The cruise director will explain which line goes where.

This cruise is so fabulous, we've taken it many times. Afterward, we walk to Chez Josephine (on 42nd between 9th/10th) for dinner or drinks and to enjoy the music.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:51 PM
nycjenny

The walk from the river to 8th on 42nd Street is perfectly safe at 8pm. I am a struggling actress in my mid-twenties and many of the "lesser" theaters are down in that direction (well, they're tearing them all down now, but that's another story). I did a show in one between 10th and 11th Aves this summer. I would walk to the subway by myself at 11pm many nights. There is a police station on 42nd between 10th and 11th and there are always lots people out and about. You'll be fine!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:13 AM
jana

Thanks so much for your replys. That's just what I wanted to hear. I was born and raised in NYC but now live in New England and only get down there once in a while so I guess I was thinking of 42nd street as it was many years ago. I was looking for something fun to do with my 18 year old daughter and thought that a cruise would be fun. Sounds like it will be.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:46 PM
r-travels

Take the #42 crosstown bus if concerned about the neighborhoods or distance. It primarily travels E & W on 42nd St, stopping right at the terminal, and at the convention center.