Notices

Chula Vista

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Gail

Chula Vista

I have a few business trips palnned in January & Feb. Do you have any suggestions for places to stay, things to see? (Text search brings up very little.) I need to stick somewhat close to state rate. Thanks!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Merilee

I'm not sure you'll find much in Chula Vista...check out San Diego (about 8 miles from Chula Vista), La Jolla (very nice area), Dana Point, Escondido, Del Mar...San Diego has an old town area to explore and the zoo is great...there are many good restaurants in the area...you won't be too far from Tijuana, Mexico either...I recommend going during the day...Coronado is very nice too and the hotel there is called the Del Coronado...the original main building dates back to the turn of the century...nice dining areas.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 10:55 AM
c

Hi Gail - The previous poster recommended that if you go to Tijuana that you go during the day. Not bad advice, but right now, I'd suggest that you skip Mexico all together. With heightened security, the border crossing can take several hours depending on the time of day.

As for Chula Vista, it's not the best tourist location for visitors to the San Diego area. National City is also nearby, but wouldn't be a great choice either. Will you have a rental car? San Diego doesn't offer much in terms of public transportation, so I would suggest having a car.

The previous poster also recommended the Hotel Del Coronado. While it is a beautiful historic hotel, it won't fall within your govt. rate. Maybe you should consider making a bid on priceline.com. Monday and Tuesday evenings are not big tourist days in San Diego in the winter months and you may be able to get a great deal.

As for things to see and do, I'd recommend wandering around Balboa Park and checking out a few of the museums.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Alex

Merilee has missed the ONE gem of Chula Vista: the U.S. Olympic Training Facility, which is located in a beautiful setting, east of town. The tour is free and the giftshop if very nice. As for other things to see, I would recommend Imperial Beach, just north of Mexico, which (I think) is the most under-rated beach in the San Diego area.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:26 PM
x

Imperial Beach - not my idea of a good beach. If you want to see a nice beach, take a walk along Coronado Beach behind the Del.