Christmas time in San Diego or?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Meme

Dear Folks:

We are looking to getaway just before Christmas for five or six days, flying home on Christmas Day - a tradition we have started over the past few years to take the edge off holiday times. We are fine with moderate weather (not expecting beach weather) a place for good sight seeing, some attractions for an older but spry person who will be with us.

Is this a particularly wet time of year in Southern Cal?

San Diego area we know has lots of attractions but we are up for anyother suggestions for somewhere charming and fun.

We were in Las Vegas last year which worked beautifully but were hoping for some new adventure.

Thanks for any input.
Meme

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Barbara

Hi Meme, I've lived in San Diego for 22yrs and it is rarely wet around Christmas. Most of our small annual rainfall begins in January. Often, in December, the weather is lovely. The days might be high 60s to low 70s, with very cool nights. However, I'm making no guarantees!

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Robin

I will second Barbara's report-- this can be a really nice time of year throughout Southern California. USUALLY it's dry, but temperatures can be all over the map, from quite warm (even up to 80) down to 40-60. Just watch the weather closely before you leave so that you can pack appropriately.

As you surmised, even if it's warm it probably won't be beach weather, but it could be great for being outdoors.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 09:01 PM
j

Hi! If you do go to San Diego and are up for a hilarious couple of hours, go to see Triple Espresso at the Horton Grand Theatre on 4th St. The Gas Lamp area is very vibrant ,with excellent restaurants.If you plan to stay downtown
parking can be an added expense.The Del Coronado would be worth a visit for the
decorations.Joyce

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 03:35 AM
kate

December is a great time to visit San Diego -we have often had our Christmas dinner at our patio table. Plan ahead to attend the great Christmas play (which includes dinner in the wonderful ballroom) at the Hotel Del - you must make reservations-I believe it is performed by the Coronado Players.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 08:05 AM
sally

Meme-how I envy your family--Christmas can be so stressful! San Diego is a great idea--rarely remember it raining during that time! Have a great time!!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 05:43 AM
Meme

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. We think it will be great to be in San Diego (rather than the Northeast) at that time of year. We love to hike, birdwatch and explore and I know you all have great places for that!!!

Makes me happy just to be planning ahead these days.

Meme

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:02 AM
Rosemary

As a San Diego native, who has been an avid beach-goer most of my advancedd years, I can tell you that the weather almost always is near perfect. Anywhere between 65-80 daytime temps. Sheltered beaches in La Jolla (Children's Pool on left side down stairs and the Cove) are sheltered and warm. One thing to do for SURE is take a tour (go the first thing) on the Old Town Trolley. It touches all of the beautiful places in San Diego and you can get off, explore or eat, and get back on the next trolley, etc. etc. It's the perfect way to see San Diego! Do NOT expect "balmy weather", just a whole lot better than anywhere else at that time. No sleeveless stuff, but shorts are always in!! Enjoy!