Search

Christmas Skiing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 11:45 PM
Jim

Christmas Skiing

I wish to take my family skiing at Christmas. Any ideas for guaranteed snow, not only on the slopes but in the village too. I was thinkin of Breckenridge, CO but I am worried it will be too busy.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Paige

Most all resorts will be busy at Christmas. The last two weeks of the year are the most expensive for accomodations at all Colorado ski resorts. There are never any guarantees of snow, 1999 was a very skimpy year for snow during the Holiday Season. Check out the snow making capacity of the resorts you are considering, this won't help with snow in town, but you will be able to ski on something. I always find Breckenridge to be the most crowded of the Colorado resorts we visit, however there are lots of kids, families and activities. We like Crested Butte for skiing in Colorado. I find they have fewer accomodations which makes for shorter lift lines on the mountain. If you need to rent equipment, make reservations for it in advance also. We were in Crested Butte for spring break and they were out of ski boots in most childrens sizes and some adults had problems renting equipment too.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Christine

I recommend Whistler, BC. Pretty reliable snow record for Christmas and very nice resort area. And if it isn't such great snow you can always go into Vancouver for the day.

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Teresa

Our family likes skiing at Keystone, CO--great family area and generally less crowded than Breckenridge. You're still in Summit County and close to Frisco, Dillon and Copper Mountain. Keystone's also fairly close to Denver--if there happens to be a snow drought, you can always jump ship and head there for the rest of your vacation.

Old Apr 7th, 2000, 03:06 PM
Jeanne

Have you considered Utah. If any place is going to have great snow its Utah. Alta/Snowbird are my personal favorites however Deer Valley and Park City are very family oriented. Also if the snow is so-so there is a lot to do in Salt Lake City. And its easy to fly in and out of .