Search

Christmas shopping in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas shopping in NYC

Hello!

Mom and I are heading down to NYC for our annual Christmas shopping extravaganza! We like walking around, looking at the lights, and finishing up our lists.

Last year we lucked out by wandering into the Union Square market, and some shops in that neighborhood.

I was wondering where you would recommend? We don't mind walking. We don't mind too many crowds. It's all part of the season!

Are there any neat streets that are perfect for shopping or areas you would recommend? I think Columbus Circle might be a little out of our price range...

Thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM

There are 3 Christmas Fairs in the city you might want to visit, Union Square, Grand Central Station and Bryant Park. This year Bryant Park is supposed to be the best, but we'll see. I think they all open this weekend.

If you are going to be here this weekend, there is also the Annual Holiday Fair in the Times Square area on Sunday and that's the last fair of the season.

Have a great time.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM

There is also a Christmas market at Columbus Circle right outside Central Park and one inside Grand Central Terminal.

And the Time Warner Center includes a Williams-Sonoma, J Crew, Borders, Sephora, Occitane...it's not just high end stores.

67th between Columbus and CPW has really pretty lights. Also- Jaques Torres just opened up a new store on Amsterdam between 73rd and 74th if you're looking for amazing chocolates!

If there are specific specialty stores (not chains) or items you might be looking for, let us know. Maybe we can help point you in the right direction.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Have you been to ABC Carpet/Home? How about Fishes Eddy? These stores are on Broadway, right off of Union Square.

I also like Broadway/Prince/Spring St. in Soho. There is Sur la Table, catty-corner to Baltazar, and Kate's Paperie just a little farther down Spring.

There is also Pearl River Mart on Broadway. Very Cheap Chinese stuff.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Don't miss Pearl River Mart. We loved it.
I could have spent a couple of hours in there looking at all sorts of stuff.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM

For teens
Forbidden Planet
Skate boarding shops, they seem like shirts their parenst hate
Maxilla and Mandible on Columbus, natural history stuff, very different

Sporting goods
paragon
Cosby's

Kitchenware
Bridge Cookware
Broadway Panhandler
Upstairs at Zabar's

For kids
Scholastic shop on Broadway

Art Supplies
AI Friedman
Utretcht-the store can be a mess at times
Pearl Paint-sometimes it is not well stocked.
Sam Flax

Camera
Adorama
B & H
Both places have knowledgable adults

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:57 PM

I don't at all know if this crosses the advertising line, but I will try to keep vague. Since I have nothing to do with it, it is probably ok. Here goes:

A Fodorite has a shop in the Bryant Park market this holiday season. Her screen name is laartista and she makes mosaic works. I haven't seen them, but my DD is going to be working there, and I can't wait.

We usually do the Union Square market, but this year, it is Bryant Park for us. We don't go until the 21 of December, but I am really looking forward to it.

ABC and Fishes Eddy, as Thin mentioned, are great stores.

Last Christmas season, I had the best California roll ever at Blue Water Grill. Seriously the best ever.