Reload this Page >

Christmas in New Orleans

Search

Christmas in New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 04:58 PM
Deb

Christmas in New Orleans

my fiance and i are spending a romantic Christmas in New Orleans this year. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for Christmas DAY? is the Qtr still hopping on such a holy day? are most the restaurants closed? i know on Christmas Eve we are already doing the bonfire thingee. we are planning on being there for five days so, much time to relax and enjoy. this is my 2nd trip, his first...HELP!

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 06:04 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Deb: Christmas will be VERY quiet once the crowds from Midnight Mass have dispersed. Better known restaurants do not remain open on Christmas Day--so get the place you'll be eating reserved as soon as possible. Pray for fair weather (it usually is--though sometimes it's warmer than you might expect). Rent a car (if you're not bringing your own) and drive out toward Lafayette or up the river toward Baton Rouge. There are good restaurants in both directions (but I don't mean for Christmas Day, a family day for the restaurant workers). Bon appetit--and have a good visit. Joan

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 06:06 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Deb: Christmas will be VERY quiet once the crowds from Midnight Mass have dispersed. Better known restaurants do not remain open on Christmas Day--so get the place you'll be eating reserved as soon as possible. Pray for fair weather (it usually is--though sometimes it's warmer than you might expect). Rent a car (if you're not bringing your own) and drive out toward Lafayette or up the river toward Baton Rouge. There are good restaurants in both directions (but I don't mean for Christmas Day, a family day for the restaurant workers). Bon appetit--and have a good visit. Joan

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 04:40 AM
Howard

My wife and I spent a glorious five days in New Orleans over Christmas. I totally agree with the above poster. Very few restaurants were open on Christmas eve or Christmas Day. But don't let that discourage you. While the name restaurants were closed, we did find a few that were open and had some good meals. It was quiet on Christmas Day in the French Quarter. (I forget exactly what we did that day, probably just walked around enjoying the quietness!) And, the weather was glorious! Go and enjoy!

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:33 AM
Brian in Atlanta

2 years ago I suprised my wife of Xmas morning with tickets to N.O. and we had to pack and leave by 11:00 AM. So we got to the Quarter about noon on Xmas day.

While it was, as others have told you, very quiet, it was wonderful to have the feeling of having the whole neighborhood to ourselves. Most bars and restaurants were closed (and didn't open until the next day) but there were enough open to satisfy us. And it felt like we were the only tourists. It was great!

Do bring at least one pair of shorts. Last year we had to buy some when the temp hit 85!

Bayona is a great (if pricey) restaurant on Dauphine St.