Christmas in New England

Search

Christmas in New England

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 03:49 PM
Kim

Christmas in New England

Greetings!
We are interested in taking a family trip to New England particularly Maine and/or New Hampshire for the Christmas holidays. Would appreciate info on places to stay that would make this a really neat experience for myself, my 14 year old daughter and my 71 year old (very active) father. Someplace quaint, with good food, and a true NE atmosphere. We would like to take in some amateur women's hockey while there also. Please provide info on how to contact these places . All help will be greatly appreciated!
Have a blessed holiday season. Thanks!

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 06:27 PM
Betsy

If it's New Hampshire you're after, try Jackson. It's a great little ski town. It's also a couple hours drive to the University of New Hampshire in Durham, where they have a NCAA national powerhouse women's hockey team.
I would also like to suggest Stowe, VT. Very "new englandy", plenty of outdoor activities (downhill and xcountry skiing, snowshoeing, etc..) and is close to The University of Vermont in Burlington and MIddlebury College in Middlebury who have women's hockey programs. Have fun!

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 09:14 PM
Kim

Wow! I'm surprised at how few responses have posted, I thought there would be lots of assistance for that region! Somebody say something!

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 05:55 AM
Beth

Hi Kim,
well, I don't have much to offer. But you might investigate Portsmouth New Hampshire. I read in Boston Globe recently that they had a number of events scheduled for an old fashioned New England Christmas. I believe they were centered around the restored homes in Strawberry Banke. You would be able to find both good food and quaint atmosphere in Portsmouth.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 06:50 AM
Audrey

Kim: it's not the region that's limiting, it's your desire to see some women's hockey. That's available only at the universities, and I'm not sure how much will be going on during Christmas break. You could check the Yankee magazine website for a zillion B&B and inn suggestions: www.newengland.com. Good luck!