Search

Christmas Airfare

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Airfare

This will be the first year I travel up north to be with the Family at Christmas... and airfares seem to be ridiculously higher than when I normally fly to PHL or BWI (from TPA). In fact double or triple!!
Has anyone else noticed this in past years...and should I purchase my ticket now, before flights are sold out? or will they have "sales".
Unfortunately, I only have a few days, and need to travel on specific dates, and I like to fly non-stop, which limits my airlines to SW and Airtran into BWI.
Appreciate any feedback.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:22 AM

Christmas/New Years is a peak travel period, probably only surpassed by Thanksgiving. I would book now, as the airlines will have no problem selling full-priced tickets later ... unlikely to see "sales".

Yes, fares are going up, as airlines cut back on size of aircraft & number of daily flights. "Supply & Demand" in action. I have seen sales for Christmas Day only in past years, but would not bet on it offered again.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:27 AM

My mother flies up for Christmas every year (Tampa to Phila). There are never "deals" at Christmas. She usually buys her tickets in September to get the days she wants.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:32 AM

I'm glad someone posted this question. I have been checking for weeks and have seen no give on airfare. You could usually catch a quick one day sale to save $50 or so,but I don't think that will happen this year. I just cant see myself driving each year, so I think I'll just buy soon and forget about it.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies...in fact, I started looking 3 weeks ago, and the prices have doubled since then...I was waiting because SW didn't have their flights open yet...now they do and they are already booked.
Oh well, guess I bite the bullet and pay the price or I'll miss another Christmas away from the family.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:09 AM

If you are flexible in your dates, you can fly around the holidays on the "non-blackout" dates. Many airlines will tell you what the dates are.

One year I traveled home to see my dad and flew on Christmas day, early in the AM. Hardly anyone on the flight. That also allowed me to stay later and fly back during one of the non blackout days.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:12 AM

Austin ..I tried the same thing last year on x-mas day and the flight was packed,as was the airports. I think it may have been that way in the past,especially on thanksgiving. But not so much anymore.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:19 AM

That was about 7 years ago. Haven't done it since, but did "investigate" fares this past Xmas. Wonder if the recent airline terror alerts will hurt the industry and maybe there will be more available seating? Hmmm.