Reload this Page >

Choosing your seatmate, oh boy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:17 PM
jetset1

Did anyone else catch this new way to collect your travel money? You register with a site which, for $5 per round or $19.95, enables you to find profiles of travelers similar to yourself and sharing your flightplan, doh!!
I won't put the site name(unless you beg),but I thought this one took the cake. I thought that most people don't visit much anymore, what with our cell phone addiction, laptop diversion and talking amongst ourselves(I'm usually with family anyway).
The last stranger I recall initiating a convo with me was a lawyer of mysterious original roots, who went on at great length about his laser toe surgery. If he had not also plied me with drinks, I may have assaulted him. Good times..

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the article and was horrified. They didn't say if I could pay to have someone who promised they didn't want to have a conversation sitting next to me.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Neopolitan

I knew a gal who spoke Lithuanian. Whenever she got on a plane, whenever someone spoke to her she told them in Lithuanian she didn't speak English. She traveled in total peace. I envy her.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:56 PM
jetset1

Neopolitan~ I used that trick myself, no, not actually speaking a language, just faking a heavy accent, but always managing to choose my entree(back in the day when you had a choice) and the free "vine".
Of course, not each flight warranted such behavior. Sometimes, I was lucky(back in single days and I will not elaborate, lol).

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM
jetset1

I'm thinking that if it was more of a "meet your special someone" sorta site, while utilizing the flight as a way to have a safe face to face, it might make more money. Just a thought though.

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 09:56 PM

was that airtroductions.com ?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:19 AM
GoTravel

This is exactly why I fly with my iPod.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Oh yes, and I and sure all the chatties will be directly behind me, with the toddler kicking my seat.

Now what they SHOULD do is have a quiet/spa-like section and a chatty section with a sound proof divider, kind of like the baby room at church.

My, my, how cynical for our Tiff this morning, huh?!?

Hehehehehehehe.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:37 AM

If someone initiates unwelcome converse, just ask them "have you been saved?" Usually works well.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Oh Sylvia...too funny!! With your luck, you will have one of those evangelist preachers in the seat next you that would respond praise the lord!

Tiff, I always get the toddler that kicks my seat too! My kids have always been well behaved on planes. I made sure of it!! Now, it is annoying to have to put up with other people who don't reprimand their kids.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:16 AM

One of my roommates has a standard answer for the always asked.."And where are you off to?"..."Going to see my old man in prison." Shuts them up every time...
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:31 AM
jetset1

Sqirming in a figure 8, muttering about parasites and vicious knids might head em off too,lol.
I wonder how many people will really sign up for this, but anything unusual is the norm, not the exception.
Like the menu list you leave outside your hotel door, you could have the option of tall dark and handsome, or a variety of other choices.. expert foot massager for one,lol.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lena beat me to it. I might pay extra for a seatmate who did NOT want to talk to me!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:45 AM
jetset1

MelissaHI~ yup, that's the one. I was thinking that if one was single and on a very long flight, it could make sense, but I wouldn't pay for the service.
It would be funny to see color codes, like blue=nontalker, red=frequent traveler, white=quiet person, green=single, orange=amusing with or w/o alcohol, etc.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:46 AM
jetset1

oops, blue and white are the same. Sorry, I'm off to the treadmill now!

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM
P_M

If I could choose George Clooney as my seatmate, then this would be the best $20 I've ever spent. But somehow I don't think he would fly coach.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:01 AM

jetset1, it is a dating site. I don't know if I would do it but if the date didn't work out (on the flight). You would never have to see the person again. And you would not have wasted time and money going out.
Of course, if it were an international flight thats alot of hours sitting next to this person if you did not like them from the start.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:11 AM

All of these posts are interesting. I too cannot stand forced conversation and would rather have none but...if the conversation interests me, then I'm all in! The unfortunate thing about this type of meeting is that you can't tell ahead of time whether or not the convo will be interesting and if it's not you are s-t-u-c-k! Yikes!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:31 AM

My last flight, I was on the aisle seat next to a very large couple. They had brought foul smelling meat sandwiches and were snorting them down, smacking, dripping grease, sloppy hands, you name it. The guy next to me was so large that he was halfway into my seat. I am not small, I need the room!

Once the plane took off, I was able to move to different empty row. He never moved over, he just stayed stuffed in the middle seat. You would have thought he would have moved over for more room.

I would have paid $20 to avoid that.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I think you all must appear too friendly and inviting. Seatmates rarely talk to me on planes. But then I do nothing to encourage conversation. I usually just give them a nod when we meet at the row and say excuse me and thank-you if they have to move around to accomodate me. I am polite, but I don't smile and I don't offer up any small talk. If they speak to me, I give non-commital answers. It works quite well for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -