Stowe VT or Jackson NH? -- are they different? then on to bar harbor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are our fall trip to new england to see fall foliage hopefully, beautiful scenary, hiking, and covered bridges and need HELP with our itinerary.

we need to cut it down by one or two days--what shld we cut out?

wld we see different things in Stowe vs. Jackson?
shld we eliminate Stowe?
or cut jackson or bar harbor down by one day?

are the roads good--not too curvy--between stowe and jackson? jackson and bar harbor?

we will drive down from Montreal on Sept 29th.

day 1 montreal to stowe Sept 29th
day 2 stowe
day 3 stowe to jackson, new hampshire
day 4 Jackson
day 5 jackson
day 6 jackson to bar harbor
day7 bar harbor
day 8 bar harbor
day 9 bar harbor to portland (or is it too long a drive) for flight or possible overnite in Camden or ?
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 02:01 AM

It sounds like you have a rental car coming down from Canada? Have you checked price to drop in Portland?

The roads are curvy. This is New England and sometimes big rocks got in the way of road builders but no difficult switchbacks if that's what you mean. Stowe is nice but I think a drive thru/past is sufficient so you can cut out day 2. NH's White Mountains are taller and craggier than VT's Green Mountains so I would say the Jackson area scenery is more dramatic.
If you are following Rt 1 from Bar Harbor to Camden, the road is inland and can be a bit boring. Camden is beautiful. Don't miss the drive or hike to the top of Mt Battie. Portland is a great foodie town so plan enough time so you can have some meals there.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 03:13 AM

Both are villages on the outskirts of highly developed tourist areas. Jackson is smaller and backs up to National forest so it seems more isolated, though it is very near the madness that is North Conway. The "attractions" near Stowe are spread out and probably more upscale, though I prefer Jackson Village.

The White Mountains around Jackson are much higher and more rugged and are literally just across the bridge.

Vermont 100 is a very scenic highway especially south of Stowe, and you can cross Mt Mansfield via Mad River Glen if you want more ruggedness.

I'm worried about that rental car, too. You can't just drive a rental car across the border without making special arrangements, and it will cost you a small fortune to leave it across the border.

If I wanted to make your trip, I would take the bus from Montreal to Burlington, Vt, and rent the car there. Burlington is worth a night. Then drive to Stowe across Mt Mansfield, and spend the night. You ABSOLUTELY will need reservations. You can drive, to Jackson via two scenic routes: the southerly route via the Kancamagus Highway or the Northerly route via St Johnsbury and US 2, going to Jackson via either Crawford Notch or Pinkham Notch.

You can then go on to Camden or Rockland via Bethel and Augusta, Maine. Since we don't know your timing, it is hard to know what will and will not be open in the Bar Harbor area.