Search

Childrens menus

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 12:52 AM
Jane

Childrens menus

We are planning a holiday in California withour six year old son. We are wondering if it is usaul for decent restaurants to have children's menus in California or will be stuck paying full price for him. We recall that there was some very well priced childrens menus in Florida when we visited a couple of years ago [we live in UK] and are wondering if this was same in California. Thanks.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 05:08 AM
Donna F

When our son was young he usually did not want a good supper when we were traveling. Ask for a service plate. There may be an extra minimal charge and let him share food from your plate. Maybe he would be happier with an appetizer or a desert. You don't have to buy him a whole meal if a children's menu is not available.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 05:54 AM
Caitlin

I would not say childrens' menus are the norm, but some places have them; always ask. Also, if you're in more upscale places, they'll often be willing to make something off-menu that's simple and small that your son will like/eat, and charge accordingly.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 06:24 PM
Cindy

Hope this isn't too obvious, but you might also consider ordering an appetizer for the child. The price is right, the size is small, and there is often something decent there, if your son has a sense of adventure. Good luck.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 06:37 PM
Donna

Another possibility in restaurants without children's menus are the vegetarian or "heart healthy" selections which are often much less than other entries. Agree with the advice not to overlook the appetizer menu. Just a plate is a good idea also. Portions are usually ridiculous - plenty for sharing your meals with your son.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 09:59 PM
Betty

I live in Southern California and have never had a problem with children's menus. They are quite common. I try not to take my kids to places that don't offer children's menus since I figure they're not catering to kids. But to answer your question, YES most decent restaurants do offer childrens menus.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 05:31 AM
kayla

Most restaurants in the U.S. provide children's menus- it's a widespread practice. Like the above posters suggested if there isn't one ask because it may not be on the main menu (especially a dinner menu) but they will have several options.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 05:49 AM
What

I do have a generic gripe about kids menus. They are just awful from a nutritional standpoint. I almost find myself saying, "Now honey. Eat your fried meat before you eat your fried potatoes and sugary beverage." Somehow potato chips have become an acceptable side dish.

Yes, Yes, I understand that I, as the parent, should draw firm limits if I want my kids to eat a healty meal in a restaurant. Yes, Yes, I could force them to order and eat something better. But restaurants make this very hard by making so much of this junk available and targeted it directly toward the kids. After all, it is often the only thing on the kids menu. Also, you're in a restaurant trying to keep the kids quiet, so it isn't the best time or place to draw lines in the sand.

Anyway, is anyone else appalled by these menus? With obesity out of control, shouldn't restaurants do better on this?

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 05:58 AM
annie

Did you know that ANYONE can order from a children's menu, or senior menu - OR even request the luncheon menu at dinner time? According to a friend who is a corporate attorney, NOT to allow anyone to order from any menu is a form of discrimination and illegal. Just FOOD for thought! lol

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Cindy

Annie,

Really? Are you sure? Because if that's the rule, then I am going to start getting a lot of senior's and child's discounts. Restaurants. Movie theatres. Amusement parks. Man, think of the money I'll save.

Seriously, could this be the reason that Six Flags amusement park no longer has a "child" rate based on age? Instead, you get a discount if you are under a certain height. So now we'll start seeing lawsuits alleging discrimination against tall people. LOL

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Jane

Many thanks for all the suggestions. We are all real foodies and look forward to trying them out !

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Bill

Here's a suggestion that we've used a couple times at nice restaurants with our kids. Sometimes there will be a "bar menu" with smaller portions, finger foods, and sandwiches. Ask for it. The restaurant is usually happy to have a child order from it as long as the adults are ordering from the regular menu.