Search

children in new

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
children in new

Message: Hi We are visiting NYC in the Fall spending 6 days in Manhattan and 4 days visiting a friend in Southampton. We had all our plans in place to take in the Niagara Falls, but as two adults with a 7, 5 & 2yo. we have decided this trip is probably out of the question as we only have ten days and I don't think 14 - 16 hrs in a rented car with three children is such a hot idea. We are all disappointed about the decision to cancel Niagara, and now we are left with a couple of spare days to use up.
We are going to hire a car so we could travel to outside the city if necessary, What I really am looking for is something really exciting to do with children or somewhere amazing to see within a 150-200 mile radius of NYC
All your suggestions would be greatly appreciated
or should just go to Niagara and worry about the driving wheneveg

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 08:54 PM

You don't mention the ages of your little ones, but I would look for Children's Museums, parks, a local library that might have a story time etc... With my 4 and 2 year old, I find that while traveling, one major activity per day is about right. Google on the areas you're visiting and see what comes up! Also, you may wish to post again using a different, more descriptive title, like, "Small Children in Manhattan, HELP! or something like that! Good luck!
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 04:02 AM

Southeastern CT is only 2 hours from Manhattan, and there are loads of beaches, museums and historical sites to see. For example...

Mystic Seaport and Mystic Aquarium - now one of the finest aquariums on the East Coast, including a huge Alaskan Coast Exhibit complete with 4 or 5 beluga whales they are trying to breed. Robert Ballard, discoverer of the Titanic, the Bismark, and others, has several significant exhibits there too.

The replica slave ship Amistad (ported in Stanford I believe) was built at Mystic Seaport. Plus there are lots of hands-on things to do at both places. Check out our beaches, mostly quiet ones with plenty of crabs for the kids to catch, on Long Island Sound.

Mystic was also immortalized in the movie Mystic Pizza. There is a real Mystic Pizza, but in spite of their claim to the contrary, it was inspired by the movie, not vice versa. Okay pizza but lots of Julia Roberts memorabilia, if you're interested in such things. I'm not. But the whole area here has great seafood places, too, for Mom & Dad.

Groton, the Submarine Capital of the World, has a submarine base (which you can't get on without a Military ID), but also the USS Nautilus and Submarine Force Museum. Fascinating for anyone, but especially if you have boys.

If you get a fairly early start you can head out of Manhattan (traffic will mostly be going the other way) and do this in a day trip... not all of it, but one or two things. I'd recommend the aquarium and - weather permitting - a trip to the beach.

When are you coming? If it's early October the water may still be warm enough for the kids to swim. Late October and you're looking at some nice foliage.

Enjoy the trip, wherever you wind up!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:59 AM

I don't think it takes 14-16 hours to drive one-way from Manhattan to Niagra Falls. If memory serves, the trip would take 4-6 hours at the most. Most of it is a pretty ride on good interstate roads through various mountain areas. Others on this site may have better memories. New York State is a big state, but in 14-16 you could be in Chicago from NYC....

There is also lots to do in NYC for kids. Mystic Conneticut mentioned above is a good choice too. The Science Museum in Jersey City is also great for kids; could be combined with a ferry ride and the Statue of Liberty.

Fodor's has a whole book about kids in the NYC area:

Fodor's Around New York City with Kids, 2nd Edition (68 Great Things to Do Together)

You can buy it on-line on this site for $11. Probably a good investment for such a long trip as yours.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Southampton (I have a house there) is a 2+ hour drive from NYC. Niagra Falls is more than 6 hours from NYC. I would not like to be in the car with 3 kids during all that car travel. Southampton is lovely, but not terribly much to do with kids when its too cold for swimming. They will like Morton National Wildlife Refuge (on the way to Sag Harbor). Its a nice walk to the bay beach and the birds will eat birdseed right out of you hands if you are still and quiet. Mystic is a good destination for kids. You can take a ferry from the Hamptons to Connecticut.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:29 AM

I just did the NF-NYC drive recently. It's 8 hours with no traffic.