Search

Children in DC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Children in DC

Going to DC December 27-29. Party includes 4 grandchildren ages 2-11, 3 boys and a girl in the middle. Each child comes with his/her own parental unit. Two questions:

1. For the 2 year old, when he gets tired of hero worshipping his cousins, is there anything age appropriate for him in DC.

2. Any good places for lunch in the Capitol/Air and Space Museum ares, dinner around Embassy Suites at 1250 NW 22nd st. (I saw one post that said that the restaurant in that hotel was not good.)

thanks.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:52 AM

I liked the restaurant in the Embassy Suites hotel but there are many restaurants located just a few blocks away (Dupont Circle area).

I think the two year old would probably be happy doing just about anything the others would enjoy. Running along the monuments would be fun, the zoo is a possibility (but it would be cold), the Natural History museum would be a good choice...
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Lunch around the Capitol/Air and Space Museum --

-- if you are looking for sit-down service, and you are actually at the Capitol proper, at the top of the hill (i.e. on the First street side) you can walk two blocks up Pennsylania Avenue SE and find a couple blocks' worth of neighborhood restuarants, of which La Lomita Dos (Mexican) and Pete's Diner (on Second Street, visible from Penn Ave.) are probably the best choices for kids.

-- otherwise, and if you are sticking closer to Air and Space, the question becomes which museum is best to eat in? With that many kids, the fastest, cheapest, and make-the-kids-happy option is often the very large McDonald's that is in the Air and Space Museum itself. (As a vegetarian, it pains me to say this, but when touring with a gaggle of nieces and nephews, it is enormously convenenient).

-- For grown-ups, the best food on the Mall is currently to be had at the cafeteria in the National Museum of the American Indian, right next-door to Air and Space. I have not focused on child-friendly options there, but I'm sure they exist, the website probably has a menu.

-- Otherwise, the cafeterias in the National Gallery, Natural History Museum, and a small cafe located in the outdoor sculpture garden of the National Gallery (next to the ice rink) all sell acceptable (not exceptional) food at high prices.

-- For the 2 year old, the Natural History Museum is indeed a great selection, particularly the Mammal exhibit, with its large variety of taxidermied animals. There is also a hands-on "Discovery Center" there for small children that is opened during certain limited hours.

-- Also for the two-year old, as noted in another post on the board, the Botanical Gardens (close to Air and Space, at the foot of Capitol Hill) will have a lovely holiday exhibit featuring a train running through the plant displays. I note there are benches here --it can be good place to take a quiet break and watch the trains go by . . .
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:53 AM

For the 2 year old, there is the excellent National Zoo, on the subway line. Even the older kids would like this and they have indoor and outdoor areas to see the animals. Go to http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Visit/GettingToZoo/

Check the National Park Service website generally as they may be offering special holiday events for kids, try http://www.nps.gov/webrangers/

For lunch in the area of the Capitol, there is a very nice cafeteria in the Madison Building (one of the buildings of the Library of Congress), which is across the street (catty-corner) from the Capitol at Independence Ave and 1st Street, SW . This is on the House of Representative side, this is the left-hand side as you face the Capitol with the Mall/Washington Monument behind it. It is on the top floor (6th floor). It is called the Madison Cafeteria. Take a look at http://www.loc.gov/loc/visit/food.html

As mentioned above, you will find a number of restaurants along Pennsylvania Ave on the "House" side of the Capitol, esp. between about 3rd and 7th Streets SE (i.e. in the opposite direction from the Mall). The Tune Inn would be a good very casual choice, and it's a Washington institution. It is at Pennsylvania Ave and 4th St, SE.

Another good place is Eastern Market, where there is the famous Market Lunch counter restaurant with its famous crab cake sandwiches. Very casual, somewhat cheap and cheerful. Easy walk from the Capitol. if you are taking the Metro from other locations, take the blue/orange line to Eastern Market. The exit is at Pennsylvania Ave and 7th St, and Eastern Market is at the end of 7th St where it intersects with North Carolina Ave. If you are there on a Saturday, there is a farmers and craft market at Eastern Market all day. There are lots of charming town houses in these neighborhoods.

Market Lunch
225 Seventh St. SE
202-547-8444

On the "Senate" side of the Capitol, there is Union Station train station which has a large food hall and an Uno’s Pizzeria, not a far walk from the Supreme Court and the Capitol. There are restaurants outside of Union Station in the surrounding streets as well. There is a Metro station inside the train station so you can head out to other parts of DC from there.

There are many good restaurants in the 22nd Street area in NW or a very short walk/cab ride away. Do you have a cuisine preference for the kids.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for much. This is very, very helpful. Mcdonald's pains me too, and I eat meat, but it's always a surefire way to bring the hoard of children into agreement.