Search

Childcare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Harvey

Childcare?

Would like to spend a week in Hawaii with our 3 year-old boy. Any advice on babysitting service or resorts with programs for toddlers? We hope to spend some time on our own (adults only), but am concerned about leaving our boy with a stranger.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 06:06 PM
D J

Harvey, Sorry there are just some things thst you have to give up when you have children.My last vacation with no kids was my honeymoon.Trust your instincts and dont leave your kid with a stranger.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 04:16 AM
gs

I would feel more comfortable leaving my kid in a group child activity type program than one of the available "hire a babysitter to your room" situations - there is some safety in numbers. We have travelled with kids since they were that age and never felt comfortable renting a private sitter from the hotel - would you hire someone at home to watch your kid knowing as little about them as you will about this babysitter? It is easy to get lulled into false security while on vacation.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 04:50 AM
curious

I probably wouldn't hire the babysitter, but at 3, your son is old enough for most kids programs, which are in group settings and lots of fun at a good place. My kids have always loved the kids programs and we actually have had a hard time taking them away from them. Some even have a dinnertime or evening program so you could have a quiet dinner. I know Ritz Carlton has Ritz kids, Hyatt has Camp Hyatt and Westins have a good program as well. Check those chains out in Hawaii and call to inquire specifically about hours, facilities and age limits. I've always been pleased with those kids programs, as have my children, but I've seen some kids who just did not want to be left without their parents, so you have to be prepared for that possibility. Even on the Disney cruise we met a family whose 2 kids would not stay in the kids programs. The parents thought they would have a little alone time but it was not to be. Hopefully, your son will love them as ours do. Good luck and have a great time.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Mom2

I agree with the posters above. I would never leave my child (also 3) with a stranger, but would feel pretty good about children's group programs as long as they didn't involve swimming.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 06:34 AM
gail

Another way to handle it mightbe to bring along a sitter that you know and trust.