Chihuly Exhibit at Fairchild Gardens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx to mclaurie who replied to someone else's thread and mentioned this event.

I really wanted to see the exhibit at the NY Botancial Gardens but our accomms plans for the Labor Day weekend fell thru. I can't believe our good fortune - a Chihuly exhibit will be in Miami while we are there over the holidays!

I did a search and it seems like it was at the gardens before and then stopped and is starting again.

I've reviewed the Fairchild Garden website but am looking for a firsthand info: are tix required in advance? Any tips, best time to go, approx. time to allocate, etc?

Enjoy-la!
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:00 AM
TC

Here is the link for obtaining information and to buy tickets for this exhibit.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/Chihuly2/Chihuly2.html
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:13 AM

My father-in-law went to this last Christmas. I can't tell you anything specific, but I know that they LOVED it. They bought a video and everything. I seem to remember something about them lighting it up at night maybe? Maybe we will try to make it over there this year.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:32 AM
TC

Here is the link to photos and video from Chihuly web site of this exhibit.

http://www.chihuly.com/installations...ild/index.html
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thx for the replies.

Yes, there is a night show as well, unfortunately it's on Tue, Wed, and Thu, but we will be there starting Fri nite (to Mon am). Too bad as I thought it would be a great thing to do at nite since we don't know what evening activities to do (since it will be dark by 5:30 pm).

Hopefully others can benefit from the evening show info (all avail on Fairchild website).

Enjoy-la!
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 03:27 AM

I visited the installation at least a dozen times last season, and if the weather holds up, I'm going again this morning since it's opening day!

I would advise going first thing in the morning, it opens at 9:30. Take the tram tour to orient yourself and then stroll through the park on your own for a couple of hours. You can easily spend the whole morning there, have lunch at the cafe, and then walk around some more. The only issue will be how strong the sun is, which is also why I advise going in the morning.

Don't feel bad about not seeing it at night. I haven't, but my opinion is that what makes this exhibit special is seeing the glass mingled with nature, and you really need the daytime to see it. Sure, lit up glass at night is cool, but in the darkness you're missing out on the best part, which is Fairchild Garden itself. Look closely and you will see dragonflies and lizards perched on the glass, view a sculpture at 10am and again at 1pm and notice the difference in the colors due to the changing sunlight, wonder to yourself "Is that lily pad real or glass?"...

Enjoy
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thx a mint for the tips Nutella! Good to hear the day-viewing is wonderful as well.

Just curious, are the Chihuly works located throughout the garden (and hence your recommendation for the tram ride orientation first), or is the exhibit confined to just a small part of the expansive gardens?

Enjoy-la!
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 06:38 PM

The link of pictures above show that it ended May 31, 2006. What am I missing here? Is it still on? Till when?
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

I've since learned that it's back - supposedly bigger and better than the last display - ending early May 2007.

Here's the visitor info link:
http://tinyurl.com/yxmfuk

Enjoy-la!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM

The installation is throughout the property, you will see glass pieces all over, and in places you wouldn't expect. The tram tour is a good idea - they will point out the major pieces plus give you some info on Fairchild Garden itself. I did attend this past weekend and I wouldn't say it was bigger and better than last year, much is the same, but what's nice is that they've included modern pieces of different artists as well. There's also a ton of great things in bloom, so aside from the glass, don't forget to stop and smell the flowers
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Here's some of what you'll see at the exhibit... or at least this is what I saw

http://tinyurl.com/y52925
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful! Thx a mint.

Enjoy-la!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Just went to Fairchild Gardens for the 2nd time in 2 years to see the Chihuly Exhibit. AMAZING!

You do not need to purchase tickets in advance. It is possible to purchase a membership pass which enables you to visit other gardens all over the country. It's a great value if you do visit them anyway.

There are two tours there. One is a walking tour which explains all the plants, trees, etc. and the other is a tram ride which will give you an overview of the gardens and especially the Chihuly pieces. Do not miss the tram ride. You will also need to walk around to see other exhibits that are not on the tram ride as well as the pieces in the conservatory, etc.

Please allot a good 4-6 hours for full viewing pleasure. Plan to be there as early as possible so you have adequate time to look around. There are a couple of restaurants on the premises that offer a variety of food.

Don't miss the area that displays his works for sale--the pieces are lovely.

By the way, the reason the exhibit was removed last spring was to avoid the hurricane season. The exhibit has been increased in size by 3 large trucks and is all over the gardens. It truly is exquisite.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Seeing this thread for the first time klam chowder. Glad you'll get to see it. I hope to go too in the New Year. Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thx a mint BeverlyBear for the many helpful details...very much looking forward to it!!

I'll have to let my DH hold my credit card while we view the creations for sale o/w I'm apt to max it out with a single piece!

Best of the Season to you, mclaurie, and lurkers!

Enjoy-la!