Chicgal - and other locals....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning to all. My husband and I are coming to Chicago for a long weekend. This is our 10th trip to the City; however, our first trip during the Fall season. We have only been in the summer and at Christmas before. My question is this..... Am I going to see any beautiful Fall Colors??? Also, any special tips for a first time fall trip? We, of course, are going to Daley Plaza for Chicagoween and plan on doing the Lincoln Park Conservatory for the mum show. And we can't wait to see Millenium Park!! We are SO excited. I love your beautiful city and would move there in a heartbeat if life would permit it.... But, alas, it doesn't..... So I'll just keep coming back every time I can land a plane ticket!!! Vacationmom
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:11 AM

The trees are peaking this week, away from the lake. You may have another week or so for trees nearer to Lake Michigan. However, trees in the city are chosen for their survival skills, not necessarily their fall color. Go to Lincoln Park, or drive along Sheridan Road from Evanston up to the Botanic Garden for a better show.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:33 AM
JJ5

Downtown and parks are more concrete than trees. If you want to see fall color any of the forest perserve areas that abound and surround the city itself are at peak right now.

Are you driving in?

When I go to work right now, it is like driving down into a bowl of orange/yellows/and scarlets. (Going west out of the Southwest side toward Lemont/ Joliet.) It's raining today and there is almost no sun, but it still is absolutely beautiful. You won't see big color in any city parks. I saw deer, ducks, goose (all walking in rain- very funny) on way to work today. This is only 10-12 miles from Chicago proper. The Brookfield Zoo area, Palos area etc. all have terrific color and forestry right now. Drive out that way if you are driving in/out. But you will need to get "off" of the expressway system. Route 83 has some lookers.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the wonderful tips. Well, I was afraid we would have to leave the City to see the Fall colors, but was hopeful there might be some in the Lincoln Park or Hyde Park area. Oh well, that was not the main intention of our trip, just thought it might be a "plus".... Thank you all for taking the time to reply. See you this weekend!! Vacationmom
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Bring a warm jacket. Unfortunately, this will be our coldest weekend so far this fall. They're even using the "s word" in some forecasts . Sunday should be nicer.

Have a nice visit here!
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM

You may be able to see some nice color in some of the northwest neighborhoods that have more trees. Going south on Lake Shore Drive around Hyde Park is quite nice too (I was just visiting my family who live in the southern burbs) last weekend and the colors where quite nice coming up LSD). Of course all of this requires a car. Oh and yes, I've heard the rumors of the "s" word too... shudder.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I heard that mention of the "s" word...!! You guys are too funny. I've been watching the weather and will bring a warm, water resistant jacket. Everyone take care....and thanks for all the responses. If you ever need any help on Fort Worth( we have the "hh" word..... HOT HUMID), I'll see what I can do..... Vacationmom